Duane

It's not a fossil of a life form, because soft tissues don't petrify that way (normally).

It is some green mineral concretions that have formed in a matrix of .... mmmm.... quarzite or calcite or some type of white matrix. The center of each concretion has a spherical depletion zone around it, where the mineral has influenced the surrounding zone, either pulling mineral out of that area or altering it some way to produce that light colored "egg" look around it.

Green might be copper or iron mineral. The rock also has an orange hue to it, so that makes me think there is some iron in it, and the specks might be a concentration of this iron mineral.

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like an Oolitic rock.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

We have a beach near by that is well known for Oolite that looks just like yours. Very light colored circles with dark mineral in the center.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

very cool

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks everyone! Very interesting!...I thought it may have been a bird egg until I looked with a magnify glass, each dot has what looked like tails. With a flashlight at certain angles it's clear as glass, with littles orbs! I think when I squeezed it, it actually seemed to make lines in it...so I thought frog eggs in amber? It feels like a rock so perhaps it is just hardened minerals of sorts! Thank you!!!

Edited by Duane
Sorry I forgot to specify, I'm in the south cariboo, British Columbia, the "rock" was found at the base of a tree. It is very dry here, and it was found on very high terrain!

9 minutes ago, Duane said:

Thanks everyone! Very interesting!...I thought it may have been a bird egg until I looked with a magnify glass, each dot has what looked like tails. With a flashlight at certain angles it's clear as glass, with littles orbs! I think when I squeezed it, it actually seemed to make lines in it...so I thought frog eggs in amber? It feels like a rock so perhaps it is just hardened minerals of sorts! Thank you!!!

I've been looking at these oolites and they are the closest thing I've found to my "rock"....but are oolites completely clear throughout?  The "eggs" in my pic appear to be 3D

There is a crack in it that makes the orange very dark.If I take pics at other angles with a flashlight, it's too bright to take a pic,..it's that clear throughout

14776811227781918645606.jpg

1477681175304655564642.jpg

Ooids have concentric layers around the core, more than one.

post-17588-0-61255400-1464111122.jpgF5.large.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, ynot said:

This looks like a "daisy" agate. (also called orbicular agate).

Tony

I think that's about right. Hardness would be useful to know - it looks like chalcedony of some sort which would be too hard to scratch with a knife.

Tarquin