Romanian Carcharodontosaurid Oldest found

Troodon

A tooth with strong affinities to Carcharodontosaurids was found in Romania.  Valanginian age would put it much older than those found in the Kem Kem of Morocco.  Tooth looks like it's in great condition and indeed does look like one of those out of the Kem Kem.  Access to paper is attached

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289600031_Megalosaurus_cf_superbus_from_southeastern_Romania_The_oldest_known_Cretaceous_carcharodontosaurid_Dinosauria_Theropoda_and_its_implications_for_earliest_Cretaceous_Europe-Gondwana_connections

Screenshot_20161027-131124.jpgScreenshot_20161027-131156.jpg

Screenshot_20161027-133009.jpg

The Dobrogea region is like a desert (no dessert there), if you're lucky  you'll find water and fossils, definitely not an exotic realm as in the story of "The Land That Time Forgot" (1975  film). :)

Thanks for the topic!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

The Dobrogea region is like a desert (no dessert there), if you're lucky  you'll find water and fossils, definitely not an exotic realm as in the story of "The Land That Time Forgot" (1975  film). :)

Thanks for the topic!

I ran into Mark Norell of the American Museum of Natural History at the Tucson show last year.  He started talking about his trip to Romania to collect pterosaur material.  He was eager to show me pictures off his phone where they were repelling down a cliff to the site on the side of that cliffs.   Don't remember everything but was excited about the size of the specimens they were collecting.   Looked very nice nothing like the area where that Carch tooth came from.

Archived