What are some of the neatest "slice of life" fossils?

aplomado

What are some of the neatest "slice of life" fossils? That is, showing interactions of creatures with each other and the environment.  Please post pictures of ones you like

This is one I really like:

dn26984-1_800.jpg

Apparently a pterosaur grabbed a small fish out of the water, but was grabbed by a larger Aspidorhynchus fish; entangled together, they both died and were fossilized, along with the little fish in the pterosaur's throat!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26984-stunning-fossils-fish-catches-fish-catching-pterosaur/

That is pretty cool.

When fossils show this type of conrtext of the species interacting with each other and in their native habitat, it is called a "life assemblage". It is a snapshot of time and can be more informative than just the individual fossils themselves.

wonderful specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I always enjoy these fish plates in which the larger fish is caught in the act of chocking down one of its smaller cousins.

IMG_0078.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another one that Doren might like;):

FSB9721a.JPG

FSB9721b.JPG

But one I really like is this one:

RM5127.jpg

This one is quite a different style than the others. It might not be obvious to see, but this is a partial Rebbachisaurus pelvis with theropod tooth marks in it!

I really like it because it's a great example of the savageness that occurred between predator and prey dinosaur.

Anyways @aplomado, great topic!

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

21 hours ago, aplomado said:

Here's another good one:  A fossil snake with a lizard in it's stomach- and a bug in the lizard's belly:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/snake-fossil-palaeopython-trophic-levels-food/

01-snake-fossil-turducken.ngsversion.147

02-snake-fossil-turducken.ngsversion.147

Wow! That one is amazing!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils