Hadrosaur Skin fossil from Hell Creek Montana, Species ID?

JojoMozza

Hi everyone,

I have this nice Hadrosaur mummified skin, bought online. Just wondering what genus/species this could be? Edmontosaurus perhaps? It was found in the Hell Creek Formation in Montana, 65 mya.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Cheers!

SAM_3174.JPG

SAM_3175.JPG

I don't believe that you can get an ID on fossilized skin down to genus or species levels, unless it was found with identifiable bony remains. :unsure: 

Wait for some other members to weigh in. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well. There is only one Hadrosaur species present in the Hell Creek formation. Edmontosaurus annectens. So if this is Hadrosaur skin, it has to be that species. The pattern and size of the scales also seems to fit.

Then again. While Hadrosaur skin is by far the most common of preserved dinosaur skin. I'm not sure if it's possible to know if it's actually Hadrosaur. Partially due to a lack of info on the skin of the other animals present in Hell Creek.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'll second the comments made by LordTrilobite.  Rarely do you see anything beyond Hadrosaur for sale.   There have been a number of recorded findings in the HC of mummified skin with bones so we have a good  idea what Edmontosaurus skin looks like.   The real question like LordTrilobite said we have little information needed other animals.  So it's a pretty good bet but not conclusive that's it Edmonto .

The 2014 Hadrosaur book I posted a link to in the other thread also has some good reference for Hadrosaur skin. The pattern certainly looks similar.

There is some skin information on other types of animals that are present in the Hell Creek Formation. A large part of the torso of Triceratops is known, which has large Crocodile-like scales. There are also a few Ankylosaur mummies. And there's a single tiny piece of T. rex skin from the underside of the tail.

Edmontosaurus skin.

tumblr_nl0xrlmsyx1rgwwpno1_1280.jpg

Triceratops skin from the back. Other areas probably have smaller scales though.

51623fe264cad.preview-620.jpg

T. rex skin from the underside of the tail.

Wyrex-BHI6230-skinimpression-dinosaur.jp

Ankylosaurus skin reference is harder to find though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks LordTrilobite, the skin looks very similar to the Edmontosaurus skin that you posted, so I guess that's the only possibility.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you for solving this mystery.

Cheers,

PS - I think I'll go and purchase that book; it seems to be very informative.