Help to identify 8 fossils

Stan Simpson

I have several fossils that look like vertebra to me. I have taken shots of each side of 2 fossils in each photo. I know it's unlikely to identify them but I thought I would at least share them with the members. They all come from the same dredge location near Houston Texas. I have found a number of other pieces I will share in the same format.

Thanks you all so much.

MVC-860F.JPG

MVC-861F.JPG

MVC-862F.JPG

MVC-863F.JPG

MVC-864F.JPG

MVC-865F.JPG

MVC-866F.JPG

MVC-867F.JPG

In the second and third sets of pictures, the fossil on the right is probably a perissodactyl (horse or tapir) astragalus (ankle bone).  In the last set, the larger fossil is an artiodactyl (bison/camel/etc.) astragalus.  All of the rest of the fossils appear to be various vertebrae or pieces of vertebrae.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I agree with Joe. If you post the astragali individually with something to show scale you may get specific IDs on them.

• I found this Informative 1

@ynot...based on the other types of fossils (tapir, horse, etc.) that are coming from the same dredging operation, these fossils are likely Pleistocene.

The astragalus in Pictures 1/2 is likely a horse (Equus sp.)

The astragalus in Pictures 5/6 is definitely artiodactyl and, based on its size and on the other fossils coming from this area, it could be Bison sp.

The astragalus in Pictures 15/16 is a little tougher because it looks like part of the bone has been broken off or eroded away.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I agree, they are astragali. The first one in order looks to be Horse (Equus) astragalus.
Here are some comparative images from Europe:

Equus hydruntinus (REGALIA, 1907)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Bison priscus (BOJANUS, 1827) - astragalus

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Bison priscus (BOJANUS, 1827) - astragalus

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

astragali 2.jpgastragali 1.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

Thomas Mann

My Library