wetwilly

Hi,

Not sure what I have here.  Found in one of the brooks on Monmouth County NJ.  Any ideas?

(1/2" x 7/8")

Thanks. 

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG

Bill

It's a bit hard to read because it's quite beat up but I think you have a split mosasaur tooth there. Can you shoot the side resting on your hand?

It does give off a slight geologic vibe. But is that enamel I spot on the first two pictures? I would have to agree that it looks like a tooth. A badly damaged one though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 hours ago, Carl said:

It's a bit hard to read because it's quite beat up but I think you have a split mosasaur tooth there. Can you shoot the side resting on your hand?

Definitely mosasaur.   Not uncommon to see preservation like this in the NJ brooks.  Slight patch of enameloid is giveaway

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I agree with suggestive rock. The layer that looks like enamel also seems to be on the flat area on the top of the second picture in the first post.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Can those shapes be traces of a very worn coral or the result of a concretion ?

IMG_5721.JPG.557a92b335216cb085cb048fa5716825.JPGIMG_5721.JPG.557a92b335216cb085cb048fa5716825.JPG

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm with non-remanié: Definitely a mosasaur tooth. Beat up yes, but it has all it needs to be IDed as an NJ mosasaur tooth! Nice job!

Not sure what a mosasaur tooth looks like when the thin layer of enamel is stripped away, be it from a digestive environment or rolling around against rocks etc.  With the enamel gone, would it resemble the chert look?  

I understand the suggestive concretion, but in hand it gives me the tooth feel. 

Thanks for the comments.

Bill

This should be a surprise to absolutely no one but Steve and Carl are correct. I'll post a few picture of some split Mosasaur teeth as soon as I get a chance.

Was I wrong with my links?

Mosasaurus.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Lol.

Been at the Brook for dozens of times... never got anything this cool... even my 9 year-old son gets better Exogyra sp. than me.

Great find.

Pedro Bento, M.Sci.