Help to identify 3 fossil bones

Stan Simpson

I have 3 more unknown fossil bones to identify. They come from the same dredge location near Houston Texas. Any help will be greatly appreciated. You all are very kind to spend the time and effort to offer your expert opinions. Thanks so much.

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-009F.JPG

MVC-010F.JPG

MVC-012F.JPG

MVC-013F.JPG

MVC-014F.JPG

The fossil in pictures 1/2 is the distal (farthest from the body) end of a horse metapodial (foot bone). 

The fossils in pictures 3-6 appear to be the distal ends of artiodactyl (bison, deer, camel, etc.) metapodials.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Indeed. The first one looks to be horse metatarsus or metacarpus fragment.

Metacarpus.jpgMetacarpus_text.jpgMetatarsus.jpgMetatarsus_text.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The artiodactyl bone looks like it's camel. In deer, bovids, etc., the central ridge goes all the way around the articular surface; in camels, about half way. In picture 4, you can see the smooth articular surface, and in 5 and 6, I think I'm seeing a ridge going about half way.

Archived