Jeffrey P

sLast weekend I took a four day trip to Kentucky to see family; parents, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew. While there arranged to get together with Herb from the Forum to collect Mississippian Age fossils which I hadn't done before. There are no fossiliferous Mississippian Age deposits in New York and the nearest are in Western Pennsylvania hours away, so this looked like a good opportunity to add some marine fossils from  that age to my collection. Fortunately where my family lives is in an area of marine Mississippian deposits. On the way to our rendezvous with Herb in E-Town (Elizabethtown) my nephew and I stopped at a road cut in Leitchfield that he knew about and had seen other collectors collecting at. Fossils were eroding out of the hillside by the score and could be picked up right off the ground free of the matrix. Collected a number crinoid stems, bryozoans, and small brachiopods. After an hour, we continued on to our meet up with Herb. My nephew had already met Herb at a collecting site. We continued on to another road cut collecting site about forty minutes away. Again, fossils were eroding out of the hillside and could be picked right up free of the matrix. Prior to this I had no blastoids in my collection but in just an hour and a half I'd collected fifteen plus more brachiopods, crinoid stems, and some more bryozoan specimens. We then returned to the first place in Leitchfield where my nephew and I visited earlier. Found more specimens including a number of crinoid calyxes, a couple blastoids, and a few more brachiopods and bryozoans. I'll have to study to learn the IDs of these specimens. All in all a great day and Herb was wonderful to collect with and very generous and knowledgeable besides. Hope we get to do this again next year. Oh, and by the way, the family visit went well too.

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

NIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEEE bryozoans.I think that's Archimedes in there.

And the rugosan seems to be encrusted as well

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

NIIIIIIIICEEEEEEEEEE bryozoans.I think that's Archimedes in there.

And the rugosan seems to be encrusted as well

Thanks. Yes, that's Archimedes, probably the most distinctive fossil from the Mississippian. Glad to add it to my collection. A lot of the crinoids, brachiopods, and corals were encrusted with bryozoans. I've seen quite a few bryozoans in Devonian and Ordovician sites near where I live, but not nearly so many as were present here.

Really nice report Jeff and the fossils are Great! Glad you had such a productive trip can't wait to see some of those in person.....:fistbump: I really like the Blastoids very cool.

Nice finds, Jeff! It's always nice to venture into the unknown and to come up with some new stuff for the collection, isn't it? Aren't we lucky to have Herb here?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Jeff,

Glad you had a nice trip meeting up with family, and hunting the Mississippian! 

Thanks for posting this report!

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Jeff,

Great stuff!  I always love reading your reports. 

Nothing like getting in some collecting while traveling.

Greg

Jeff, I enjoyed collecting with you and your nephew. Great company, great weather and great collecting. Looking forward to your next visit to hit some Ordovician sites.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Great Report Jeff and I agree that Herb is a great guy to collect with. You found a lot of little stuff so you must have been on your hands and knees all day! :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

JPP, if you would like some let me know

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

20 hours ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

Nice bryozoans. I'll have to find some, somewhere, someday. :trilowalk:

If you visit that first site you would find some within 10 seconds. See the picture above of them all over the ground. I've never seen bryozoans that plentiful.

Thanks Chris, Roger, Tim, Greg, Tony, Herb, Jim, Dave, and JPP for the nice comments and support. Herb, definitely want to check out some Ordovician sites next time. Best wishes all.

A bit of fossil hunting, especially with another forum member, always makes a good trip even better. Thanks for posting your terrific finds, Jeff. Those blastoids are wonderful.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

20 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

If you visit that first site you would find some within 10 seconds. See the picture above of them all over the ground. I've never seen bryozoans that plentiful.

Then you need to go explore some Fairview formation in Kentucky or Ohio. Ordovician aged bryozoan garden!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, Pagurus said:

A bit of fossil hunting, especially with another forum member, always makes a good trip even better. Thanks for posting your terrific finds, Jeff. Those blastoids are wonderful.

Thanks Mike. Very true.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:53 AM, Shamalama said:

Then you need to go explore some Fairview formation in Kentucky or Ohio. Ordovician aged bryozoan garden!

Dave, you're giving me more reasons to return. I already have plenty, but thanks.

The crinoid calyxes arrayed around a coin are Agassizocrinus.  Although this crinoid had a tiny stem in its early development, as it grew the stem broke off and the basals fused into a solid mass that acted as a weight to keep the crinoid anchored to the sea floor.  Your specimens are all the fused basal part, which is how these fossils are most commonly found.  Specimens with the redials and the arms are rarely seen.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:05 PM, FossilDAWG said:

The crinoid calyxes arrayed around a coin are Agassizocrinus.  Although this crinoid had a tiny stem in its early development, as it grew the stem broke off and the basals fused into a solid mass that acted as a weight to keep the crinoid anchored to the sea floor.  Your specimens are all the fused basal part, which is how these fossils are most commonly found.  Specimens with the redials and the arms are rarely seen.

Don

Thanks Don for the ID help. These new additions to the collection will take some time and effort to properly ID them all. Also appreciated the information about their natural history.