1- Crinoids stems

2- Agassizocrinus conicus

3- Pterotocrinus looks like P. depressus

4- Bryozoans Archimedes Fenestella and likely Tabulipora

5- Bryozoa Fistulipora

lastly Horn Coral

Thanks. I'll use these.

• 2 years later...

I’m visiting family in Leitchfield, kentucky, today with kids old enough to enjoy fossil hunting. Could you direct me to this spot or any others?  We intended to hunt creek beds but the water flooding thanks to recent rains crashed our plans. Also going to briefly be in Louisville, whitesville, and Murray areas. It would make our trip to find a place like you’re describing. 

Here is the Litchfield site. Happy hunting.

Leitchfield Mississippian site.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 5 weeks later...

The creek that runs through Lincoln Homestead State Park near Elizabethtown is rich in beautifully preserved Monticulpora and Platystrophia.  I would suggest a visit for the next time your in the area (Don't worry.  Even though it is a state park, they don't really care if you take fossils.).

2 hours ago, Reese the Rockhound said:

The creek that runs through Lincoln Homestead State Park near Elizabethtown is rich in beautifully preserved Monticulpora and Platystrophia.  I would suggest a visit for the next time your in the area (Don't worry.  Even though it is a state park, they don't really care if you take fossils.).

To the contrary, it is best to know what is legal and avoid offering advice that could lead to breaking park regulations.

From the Kentucky State Parks website:

"Park Policy Memo 87-11-5. The Department of Parks prohibits all collecting of plants, animals, and geological materials for any purpose, including scientific, unless written approval is obtained from the Commissioner of Parks. No other permission, written or verbal, is acceptable."

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

To the contrary, it is best to know what is legal and avoid offering advice that could lead to breaking park regulations.

From the Kentucky State Parks website:

"Park Policy Memo 87-11-5. The Department of Parks prohibits all collecting of plants, animals, and geological materials for any purpose, including scientific, unless written approval is obtained from the Commissioner of Parks. No other permission, written or verbal, is acceptable."

@JohnJ is absolutely correct! If you don’t believe him (which you should since he handed you official proof) take it from a Kentuckian, it is ILLEGAL to collect fossils in Kentucky State Parks. Contrary to what was said previously, “they” do care if you take fossils from a State Park. The park officials care and the other visitors to the park care.  I know it’s hard sometimes since we love fossils so much, but leave them there for the next person to enjoy.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 7/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, FossilNerd said:

@JohnJ is absolutely correct! If you don’t believe him (which you should since he handed you official proof) take it from a Kentuckian, it is ILLEGAL to collect fossils in Kentucky State Parks. Contrary to what was said previously, “they” do care if you take fossils from a State Park. The park officials care and the other visitors to the park care.  I know it’s hard sometimes since we love fossils so much, but leave them there for the next person to enjoy.

Agreed! State and national Parks almost never allow collecting of anything.  There are a few exceptions amongst the state parks but those are very specific places.  Never assume that just because you were not stopped or questioned in the past it was actually OK.