Max-fossils

Hello everyone!

I recently saw this fossil for sale...

I have always wanted a Keichousaurus, as they have always fascinated me. I think I found my chance.

The seller is Dutch and lives in the south of the Netherlands (which is good for me when it comes to shipping^_^).

Do you think it's real or fake?

The info given by the seller:

• Keichousaurus hui
  • Xingyi, Guizhou, China
  • 245 mya (mid-Triassic)
  • Mudstones and silts from Guizhou
  • Small restauration
  • Hand-prepped
  • "Like all dinosaurs keichousaurus belonged to the reptile family. Due to the heavy bone structure scientists think that these reptiles were about to make the evolutionary step from sea to land. These reptiles are slain as a result of a volcanic eruption about 250 million years ago. When the volcanic ash dried arose cracks. These cracks were filled with water, forming the calcite veins that you can see in the rock. Often breaking the stone plates on these veins. This copy has also been broken on the calcite vein that runs through the tail. This is expertly put back together. The keichousaurus is complete and unrestored."
  • "Rare nicely prepared keichousaurus with many details. Size 13,1 cm. (17.5 cm in extended position). The matrix measuring 22,7cm x 14,5cm and is 0.8 cm thick. Gorgeous decorative fossil."

If you want some more photo's or specific info, tell me in the replies.

edec03fa-97ac-11e6-94eb-8cb72af016bd.jpg

f53a6f84-97ac-11e6-9bcb-f2e05cb1a464.jpg

fa56cd78-97ac-11e6-8238-d60e1dc3f4b7.jpg

02ceddec-97ad-11e6-833c-9b9d106cbd2b.jpg

Thank you already for all your help!

Warmest regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi Max

I don't see any red flags in fact the natural breaks add to it authenticity.  To be sure, if you can, I would like to see more closeups of the skull and legs.

Like Troodon I find the naturally occurring veins of calcite reassuring. I especially like the displaced skull. In a subjective way it lends credence to authenticity.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree. No red flags visible.

But I'd say better closeup photos are needed to give a better indication about the authenticity.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Like Troodon I find the naturally occurring veins of calcite reassuring. I especially like the displaced skull. In a subjective way it lends credence to authenticity.

These veins seem to be real and the displaced skull is reassuring, but I also saw quite a lot of faked Keichous with faked veins made with some (terrible) white glue. There is no guarantee such as "white veins = real Keichousaurus"

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

3 minutes ago, oilshale said:

These veins seem to be real and the displaced skull is reassuring, but I also saw quite a lot of faked Keichous with faked veins made with some (terrible) white glue. There is no guarantee such as "white veins = real Keichousaurus"

I appreciate your report on the forger's tactics you have observed. How about unprepped Keichousaurus? Have you encountered any ersatz specimens that were created and then covered over with a false matrix? I'm afraid we see that with some Moroccan material. I would have thought that the unprepped pieces I sometimes see offered would be a sure way of assuring authenticity, but perhaps not. I suppose where money is involved there is no end to ingenuity.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I appreciate your report on the forger's tactics you have observed. How about unprepped Keichousaurus? Have you encountered any ersatz specimens that were created and then covered over with a false matrix? I'm afraid we see that with some Moroccan material. I would have thought that the unprepped pieces I sometimes see offered would be a sure way of assuring authenticity, but perhaps not. I suppose where money is involved there is no end to ingenuity.  

So far I never saw any fake unprepped Keichousaurs. Seems to be fairly sure to buy one of these. But you need to ask for unprepped Keichousaurs with a relatively soft matrix. The ones with a hard matrix are almost impossible to prep.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

So, you think it's authentic? That's good news!

Here are some more pics, that's the best I can do...

Thanks a lot,

Max

079f20b6-97ad-11e6-82b5-a561576880d0.jpg

f0d9799e-97ac-11e6-9dfc-beed6886ce72.jpg

0501b544-97ad-11e6-83f0-db060adaced9.jpg

f2dcaa86-97ac-11e6-9b94-5121f386bdb8.jpg

fdfe5306-97ac-11e6-891f-5d9b020f585c.jpg

fdfe5306-97ac-11e6-891f-5d9b020f585c.jpg

fa56cd78-97ac-11e6-8238-d60e1dc3f4b7.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Looks good to me! It looks like there has been very little restoration done to this specimen. You'll notice the end of the tail, and the tips of some of the digits on the back feet are missing. This is very common with Keich fossils and in many cases the missing digits and tip of the tail are restored (painted on). If I were faking a Keich fossil I would make sure that it looked 100% complete. Nice specimen! The tips of the digits/tail missing make this guy look more natural and are very minor issues.

Like others have said the calcite veins running through the matrix also point towards this specimen's authenticity. These veins can also be faked, but there are no red flags with this specimen. The break in the skull adds to the case that this is real.

Archived