Found a new HotSpot

MCG DAWG

Got back to the coast of Ga/Fla again for our annual fall trip to Amelia Island for the Ga/Fla football game.  As a UGA grad, we shant discuss the game.  But we can talk about some fossil finding. 

A friend of mine that knew I'd gotten into shark tooth hunting put me in touch with one of her work colleagues that told me of a place a short boat ride from Amelia island that usually had good teeth.  Wanting to check it out I chartered a boat ride.  What resulted was the best shark tooth hunting of my life on what I believe is an old drege spoil spot.  Two steps off the boat I found a perfect 2 inch great white. (of course I later dropped it showing it to my kids and broke it on condo floor).  For 150 minutes I averaged 3 teeth a minute. If I walked 3 steps and didn't find one I was shocked.  It was an amazing trip.  Found many larger teeth which for me are in the nickel to quarter size.  Much larger average than my usual beach hunting.  Go two of the best intact hemi's I've ever found.  

Added another 250 or so I found on the beach of Amelia for a total of 716 for the trip.  Puts me over 2100 for the calendar year.  

I can't give the location of the new honey hole. Was promised to secrecy.  But should you decide to hunt on Amelia Island your best bet is to go up to the north end near Fort Clinch and park at the fishing pier.  Much larger teeth up that way than on the south end of the island where we usually stay.  Up there I found plenty of other fossils including turtle shell, puffer fish mouth plates, ray plates, ray stingers, fish verts, etc.  Averaged 25 teeth an hour up on that northern end.  

Won't get to hunt again till early January when I'll make a quick mid day run to Savannah Ga coastline while on a deer hunting trip in SE Ga.  

Tooth16.5.jpg

Tooth16.6.jpg

ToothFall16.1.png

ToothFall16.2.png

ToothFall16.3.png

ToothFall16.4.png

Edited by MCG DAWG
Grammar

Oooo, gotta watch that grammar, you never know when the Gmen are around.  Nice haul, now where did you say that spot was exactly? 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Oooo, gotta watch that grammar, you never know when the Gmen are around.  Nice haul, now where did you say that spot was exactly? 

West of the beach and south of Atlanta.  Should be easy to find! 

Ah yes, I know right where that is, I'll try to save you some things to find for your next visit.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice finds! Who would have thought all that loose change would be laying on the beach.  The shark teeth are nice too.  

JK.  That mako in the upper right is a beaut.  Glad you had a good time.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

• 2 years later...