nala

Marrakech Morocco last week

nala

I enjoyed very much this stunning place ,but not for fossils,you have to go to Erfoud area :)

Tidgy's Dad
48 minutes ago, nala said:

I enjoyed very much this stunning place ,but not for fossils,you have to go to Erfoud area :)

Glad you enjoyed it. 

But there are many many places in central and southern Morocco where fossils can be found. :)

nala

Can be found or buy?The sites aroun Kem Kem are only for locals;perhaps you have other good ideas?

Tidgy's Dad

Many places around Midelt, The Black Sahara near Rissani, the coast and area around Boujdour, and again around Dakhla, North of Zagora......................  

And the phosphate mines, of course. 

nala

1) granites near Tafraoute, 2) algal mats near Ouarzazate, 3) Ordovician glaciation, 4) Silurian graptolithic shales, 5) Orthoceras limestones, 6) Devonian mud mounds and Merzouga sand dunes, 7) Triassic Argana river sands, 8) Cascades d’Ouzoud, 9) Friouato karst shaft, 10) Dades Gorge, 11) blowholes near Agadir and Cretaceous oysters, 13) Amesfrane cliff. :)

map.jpg

Tidgy's Dad
4 minutes ago, nala said:

1) granites near Tafraoute, 2) algal mats near Ouarzazate, 3) Ordovician glaciation, 4) Silurian graptolithic shales, 5) Orthoceras limestones, 6) Devonian mud mounds and Merzouga sand dunes, 7) Triassic Argana river sands, 8) Cascades d’Ouzoud, 9) Friouato karst shaft, 10) Dades Gorge, 11) blowholes near Agadir and Cretaceous oysters, 13) Amesfrane cliff. :)

Now you're getting it! :D

Wrangellian
8 hours ago, nala said:

map.jpg

Where is #12?  ;)

I missed the trip report until now too. Great shots - nice for those of us who will never get there because of the distance.

I would assume if there are no pricetags on the fossils in these stores, it's so the dealer can quote a higher price for Europeans/North Americans/Japanese than for locals, and therefore I would dicker them down from what they first quoted. Would that work?

Tidgy's Dad
2 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Where is #12?  ;)

:)

I missed the trip report until now too. Great shots - nice for those of us who will never get there because of the distance.

I would assume if there are no pricetags on the fossils in these stores, it's so the dealer can quote a higher price for Europeans/North Americans/Japanese than for locals, and therefore I would dicker them down from what they first quoted. Would that work?

Very few places will have price tags for anything and if they do, they'll be too high anyway. 

Always haggle, it is expected.

Yes, it works, don't be afraid of offending someone by offering a stupidly low price to start. (they won't be offended, it's the game, though they may pretend to be, you can pretend to be insulted too, I often pretend they are going to starve my six children at those prices. (I don't have any kids, just Tidgy). 

They start silly high, you start silly low and you should meet up somewhere sensible. 

Wrangellian

Good advice!

nala

I must warn you will have world champion in  haggle practise in front of you! it can be funny but heavy also sometimes :)

taj
On 15/04/2018 at 10:47 AM, nala said:

Can be found or buy?The sites aroun Kem Kem are only for locals;perhaps you have other good ideas?

No . But you have to find a good guide  . Or know the exact location and be nice .

Tidgy's Dad
19 hours ago, nala said:

I must warn you will have world champion in  haggle practise in front of you! it can be funny but heavy also sometimes :)

Haggling is one of my very favourite things 

I haggle over the price of potatoes sometimes 

taj

Ha ! That's the thing to do if you want to earne some respect !:D

michele 1937

Morocco is a wonderful country.
Visit it

ricardo

Dear TFF friends,

Ait Athmane/Gorges du Ziz :  Pliensb./Toarcian,  Bivalvia (Lithiotis sp.) exceptional in situ fossilization. 

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Lithiotis.jpg

ricardo
On 15/04/2018 at 2:36 PM, nala said:

Hello Nala,

Erfoud Devonian...

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Erfoud.jpg

nala

Nice pictures Ricardo! :)

ricardo
14 hours ago, nala said:

Nice pictures Ricardo! :)

It's a great country! :)

All of best,

Ricardo

MiseriKing

thank u so much :) I want travel to Morocco :) so sad this year I travel to Vietnam and Malaysia :( How about people? Easy? Not dangerous?

ricardo

Morocco is a magnificent country. People are friendly and it is safe. The geology is outstanding!

Abstraktum
On 31.10.2016 at 9:12 PM, nala said:

IMG_1166.JPG

I just quote this picture so my post doesn't get too long, but I'm referring to the whole post :)

This sounds kind of naive but I really like to know: How much fabricated or "fake" are these Trilobites really? Like what do they do to fake it?

Is it just a rock that they put in the shape of a Trilobite and painted it? Or are these actual fossiles but in really bad shape and they added lots of stuff to make it look like a complete Trilobite. 

What am I looking at? A painted rock? A bad fossil made looking good?

Anyway, nice pictures and an interessting inside on Marocco and the local fossil market there! :) 

nala

I think these actual fossiles but in really bad shape and they added lots of stuff (pieces of several and resine),paints,to make it look like a complete Trilobite(sometimes with fantaisy shape). you can see that if you use acetone on the pieces :)

Tidgy's Dad
On 8/11/2018 at 9:53 PM, Abstraktum said:

I just quote this picture so my post doesn't get too long, but I'm referring to the whole post :)

This sounds kind of naive but I really like to know: How much fabricated or "fake" are these Trilobites really? Like what do they do to fake it?

Is it just a rock that they put in the shape of a Trilobite and painted it? Or are these actual fossiles but in really bad shape and they added lots of stuff to make it look like a complete Trilobite. 

What am I looking at? A painted rock? A bad fossil made looking good?

Anyway, nice pictures and an interessting inside on Marocco and the local fossil market there! :) 

Some are painted, some are plaster, some are resin, some are carved and some are real fossils with additions. Some are real. 

There are millions of genuine fossils for sale here as well. :)

Abstraktum

Thx guys, that helps me a lot  :)

M.Youssef

Nice to read a topic about my country :)

Well it Is the safest place to travel in North Africa. 

About fossils , just an advice for those to look for good genuine specimens in your visit to Morocco , most fossils, trilobites in particular displayed in open shops are not a good deal , the real good stuff is offered by dealers in their houses and workshops , you just need to ask friends who to go to .

Best

Malek