Real Spiral Ammonite?

joel77520

I have this Ammonite from the Erfoud Devonian period, about 350 million years old. It's been painted by the Moroccan artisans to display better and to cover up where it's been glued together. It weights 12lbs and is 12.7 inches. Can anyone confirm for me if it's authentic? Thanks

Screenshot_20161031-063952~2.png

Screenshot_20161031-171348~2.png

Nice looking fossil.   It looks mostly real.  I've highlighted some areas that look like have been restored and sections possibly joined.  The question that cannot be answered are the sections from the same ammonite or different ones.  Nice looking peice either way.  

5817c81fe5d69_Screenshot_20161031-0639522.thumb.png.fd8786d22b623b5b7a4527386b2d41f5.jpg

I'll disagree.  I think most of this artisan piece is fabricated and carved matrix - starting at the red area Frank marked by the ruler.  Most of the 'ribs' are noticeably carved and distinguished by "chattered" grooves.  This would be very apparent under magnification, or in comparison to a fully authentic specimen.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'll go along with John. Although some parts could be real, even the inner whorls look fabricated to me. Time to get out the microscope. Nice sculpture at any rate.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It's a composite with added restorations.

Surely comes from Morocco, but I would doubt seriously it to be devonian from Erfoud, most of the fossils found over there would be goniatites, orthoceras and the trilobite-fauna. Might be made north of Agadir and looks more cretaceous or jurrassic to me?

• I found this Informative 3

To me it's more of a composite than a fake.  In my photo I'm showing you the added sections.  If it were fabricated those areas would not look like that and be more natural.  

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, Fitch1979 said:

It's a composite with added restorations.

Surely comes from Morocco, but I would doubt seriously it to be devonian from Erfoud, most of the fossils found over there would be goniatites, orthoceras and the trilobite-fauna. Might be made north of Agadir and looks more cretaceous or jurrassic to me?

It does have that "found some of it" look.

The inner portion is basis. That part is how they based the restoration.

Very weather worn, probably lay on the open ground for a great deal of time before it was found.

I would not consider it "fake" in as much as a restoration.

It takes a very skilled individual to fake a complete ammonite.

Especially the ornate species.

Bone2stone