Can anyone identify this unusual fossil

Stan Simpson

This fossil is different than any of the pieces found to date. It seems more porous than previous fossils. It has holes as shown with some running all the way through the fossil. It comes from the same dredge operation near Houston Texas as previous pieces. Thanks for your help.

MVC-033F.JPG

MVC-034F.JPG

MVC-035F.JPG

MVC-036F.JPG

MVC-037F.JPG

MVC-038F.JPG

It's the inner marrow area of a bone that has had the outer surface worn off. Not sure if you will be able to get more of an ID.

It seems to be the spongious part of a bone, and some of the holes you see are for the passage of blood vessels and nerves.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

If from a marine environment it is possible that some of the larger holes are from clams.  They are pretty good at boring pretty round holes through almost anything that has been in the water long enough! :)

Might have been part of a whale at some point since the remnant is so large.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived