Penn Dixie 11/2/2016

DevonianDigger

Hit up the site again today with @ischua, found a lot of trilobites. Mike was lucky enough to land a plate with two complete, prone Eldredgeops rana overlapping. Gorgeous piece, hoping he'll post pics when he's able. In the meantime, I started to prep out some of my completes that I found including this fella, which I am very proud of:

20161102-002 (Large).jpg

20161102-003 (Large).jpg

I know, I know... doesn't seem all that impressive of a prep job...

That is until you see this:

20161102-001 (Large).jpg

20161102-000 (Large).jpg

Still could use a little more work but I need a finer abrasive first. Also, needs a coating, I just painted him with some water to make him shiny for his photo debut!

20161102-006 (Large).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Great one ! The details are amazing :envy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Very nice! :) 

Way to go, Jay. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks guys!

We're going back out tomorrow since it's still actually nice out. <knocks on wood> We've really had some awesome hauls this fall. Have quite a few completes and near completes that I'm working on now as well. Pics to follow!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

This guy's not fully prepped yet for a couple of reasons. #1, he's got a broken nose; #2, he's got pyrite on his axial lobe that I'm afraid to try and chip off; #3, there are tons of other trilo-bits in this piece and I don't know how I want to move forward with the rest of the piece yet.

20161107-004.jpg

20161107-003.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Yes. Very sore, but got some seriously cool stuff this time. Including this little heartbreaker:

20161108-003 (Large).jpg

Complete Greenops, minus the half of his head that we clipped off not knowing he was there. I've started prepping what's left of him, and he's going to still be pretty darn neat.

20161108-025 (Large).jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I would say plant too, Jay. 

The black carbonaceous film is often indicative of plant material.

Neat finds. Thanks for sharing them - looking forward to your winter prepping. :) 

Regards, 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

On 11/8/2016 at 7:59 PM, DevonianDigger said:

This is one of the ones from last week, still not finished with him yet.

20161108-026 (Large).jpg

@DevonianDigger man I am so jealous. I ended up purchasing a nice Phacops off of Ebay for $20 just to have something to compare against while prepping. The trilobite is definitely from PD and the condition is pristine. I'll post him soon. I need to pickup an airscribe but am terrified to start the process. I need to send you the one bug I was hoping you could prep just so I could get a basic idea for how to even attempt this sort of thing. You're finds are amazing though! Seriously how did you find these? I have been up there six times and haven't found anything that cool. Then again I have some that just need prep work, so maybe they are nice. School is almost over (Dec. 15) so I'm going to ask the wife for a nice airscribe for Christmas, but I'm worried about dust getting everywhere. My apartment is a bit small, so I might need to find a friend nearby who has a shed.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

9 minutes ago, jsnrice said:

@DevonianDigger man I am so jealous. I ended up purchasing a nice Phacops off of Ebay for $20 just to have something to compare against while prepping. The trilobite is definitely from PD and the condition is pristine. I'll post him soon. I need to pickup an airscribe but am terrified to start the process. I need to send you the one bug I was hoping you could prep just so I could get a basic idea for how to even attempt this sort of thing. You're finds are amazing though! Seriously how did you find these? I have been up there six times and haven't found anything that cool. Then again I have some that just need prep work, so maybe they are nice. School is almost over (Dec. 15) so I'm going to ask the wife for a nice airscribe for Christmas, but I'm worried about dust getting everywhere. My apartment is a bit small, so I might need to find a friend nearby who has a shed.

Read this thread from HRguy54. 

He does amazing work with safety pins and a dremel. 

Regards,

@jsnrice, for what it's worth, the beginning of my season started out pretty weak and I didn't find much of anything. It turns out that it's really about the tools. I used to think that you could find good stuff just going through the weathered out piles. While it's true that occasionally you will find something cool in them, there is nothing that can compare to just breaking tons of rock. (I mean tons literally, lol.)

@ischua and I changed the topography of the site this fall moving huge amounts of rock. It's all about identifying the productive layers, and strategically removing them. Then splitting all those rocks and hoping for the best. We pulled hundreds of pounds of blank rock just to find a handful of complete bugs. It's a numbers game. The more you move, the more you'll find. 

I've got some more cephalons I can send you to practice prepping. Don't worry about beating them up, just get used to the tools. The air eraser I recommended won't destroy them, if anything it will remove some of the finer details like those in the schizicoidal eyes and the little bumps on the glabella. Other than that, you can remove the shinier layer of finish that occurs naturally on them. But, practice with distance and stroke speed is the only way to guarantee that you won't damage better specimens when you work on them. 

As for the dust, harbor freight sells some nice sandblasting cabinets for around $80. When I first started, I used a cardboard box and a paper mask, lol. I'm still piecing together a better setup. Most pros have around $10k worth of prep equipment. I have about $400—still a long way to go! I'll try to drop a box of better pieces for you to work on next week for shipping.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Sure I'll practice on them! Holy cow this sounds like an expensive hobby. :blink: Thanks @DevonianDigger I did find this and this seems like a good video: 

• I found this Informative 1

Alright a trilobite with legs scares me! :blink: I would never attempt such a feat! :faint: