I need help identifying this fossil

Napoleon Dolomite

I just found this fossil in between Boyne City and East Jordan Michigan. It was found in a mound of rock from a gravel pit in the aforementioned area which consists mostly of Devonian fossils (petoskys and other rugose corals for the most part).

I hope I am posting this in the right place, I am new to this forum and it's not easy for me to know where to post in various forums without angering a lot of patrons and administrators, so I went to the "id fossils" section and started a new topic. I hope I got this right!

Also, I apologize for the pics because I was having a hard time shrinking them to a size that would let me post them (I could only get two). I hope the images I provided are enough. The fossil is approximately 5" across and 3 3/4" tall and probably Devonian.

Thanks in advance!

a new 1.jpg

a new 2.jpg

Your topic is in the right location.  We usually don't see "angry" around here.  ;)  If you want, you can add additional photos in Replies to this topic. 

At first glance, I think your find is just differential weathering on a local concretion. 

Welcome to The Forum. 

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think the only time nerves ever get rattled on here is when someone posts an object for ID with a conceived notion as to what they want it to be and then get all flustered when they are told that it is not what they thought it was.  We're actually a pretty easy going family around here.

I would have to agree with John, your item has all the classical traits of a concretion.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the information!

I was really hoping this was a sponge that had already worked loose of its matrix and not just a concretion, but oh well. They find giant sponges in nodules half the size of a VW bug just east of where I found this. I hoped it was a smaller species of those, but I think its still cool as a concretion and I'm working on a way to display it.

Thanks again for for the warm welcome and the confirmation I didn't want to hear.lol

looks like a nodule to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Interesting find.  I've never heard of a "button rock" before...

Nice name by the way...:)

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Looks like a "cannonball concretion". :) Here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On Friday, November 04, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Carl said:

I second all of that!

i third that.:P

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Yeah, some concretions grow in these shapes that remind me of spaceships. What if one was cracked open and a little fossilized space dude was inside? Then I suppose everybody would be all "You should donate that to science!".

17 hours ago, tmaier said:

Yeah, some concretions grow in these shapes that remind me of spaceships. What if one was cracked open and a little fossilized space dude was inside? Then I suppose everybody would be all "You should donate that to science!".

You're funny!

These large ones from Romania are called Trovants (singular - Trovant), moving, growing, multiplying concretions.

7a41364b676d5beb3fe006238ff2ffca.jpg97078006.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 3 novembre 2016 at 6:06 PM, JohnJ said:

Your topic is in the right location.  We usually don't see "angry" around here.  ;)

I confirm this.;)

Welcome to the forum.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

" These large ones from Romania are called Trovants (singular - Trovant), moving, growing, multiplying concretions."

Hey! Those resemble the Roswell alien crash site! I think thewre is some connection here.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Roswell+alien+crash+site&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=1&tbm=isch

Wait... there are two guys dressed in black suits at my door. I'll be right back

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

Hey Tmair, don't forget to give us news from you !

Fortunatly you aren't in New-Mexico !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I'm back.

The gentleman in black suits explained to me that these are rocks, called concretions. Then they checked my vision for free, and flew off in their black helicopter.

That's why I'm proud to be an American!