What is it, Doctor?

(Julia)

Location info and age if known will help.

I'm not very good with invertebrates, but I would guess coral as well.

Often times it doesn't get much better than that with pieces.

Piece of a Rudist. Maybe?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

possibly a section of rudist

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Maybe a rudist, yes, but without the location and age...

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

If it is from the Austin Chalk in the Round Rock, TX area, it is part of an Inoceramus 'hinge'.  The calcite structure is a typical indicator.  The other 'holey' looking parts could be small oysters that would grow on large old shell fragments.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

From Round Rock, Texas just above Austin

Whoops, John beat me to it.  It helps if we read the "tags" that go with the thread. 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

Yep.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Maybe Pseudoperna congesta on inoceramid valve.

fig57.jpg

Here

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Whoops, John beat me to it.  It helps if we read the "tags" that go with the thread. 

Sorry Doren, didn't realize Round Rock was a place, thought she was describing her find.

I am looking at this on my phone and when you click the titles on the side of the page they don't show the tags either.

Blake, I wasn't giving you a hard time. I am guilty of the same infraction myself. I seem to just look at the initial title and fail to read the tags. I was just pointing this out that when trying to figure out where, what, when and why we all should look at the tags now that they are required for posting in ID section.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

22 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Sorry Doren, didn't realize Round Rock was a place, thought she was describing her find.

I am looking at this on my phone and when you click the titles on the side of the page they don't show the tags either.

So did i.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Ditto what FossilDudeCO just 'said'. 

Just FYI: 

Inoceramus was a genus of bivalved mollusc (like an oyster or clam) that is VERY commonly found in many exposures of Cretaceous age in Texas.  The shells could, depending on species, get quite large (about 2 meters) and were composed of 'prisms' of calcite which are beautifully illustrated in your second, third and fifth pictures above.

Pseudoperna was a genus of small bivalved molluscs that is commonly found (sometimes in large clusters) attached to the shells of larger molluscs like Inoceramus like abyssunder illustrated.  That is probably what you have illustrated in your first picture.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Inoceramus ... good name.  I have so many clam fossils.  All are smooth and worn down, but definitely beautiful.  Thanks, Joe, for the direction.

You should always keep in mind that when the location of a find is considered a factor in the ID you are dealing with relative probability.

I've found this crystalline structure within presumed fossils here in Maine, and we have been in e-world (erosional) since the mid Devonian.

What @Rockwood writes is true...you do have to keep the context in mind...but here in Texas where we have a LOT of Cretaceous strata, that prismatic calcite structure is most often associated with the abundant Inceramus remains.  In many of the creekbeds that cut their way through the Cretaceous strata, it is almost impossible not to find at least one big (though rarely intact) inoceramid shell.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

more information about the inoceramid morphology and the prismatic shell structure: Lower Turonian Euramerican Inoceramidae:A morphologic, taxonomic, and biostratigraphic overview.

1.gif

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 hours ago, (Julia) said:

8-)   I really appreciate the information. After reading a little about Rudist, it makes me wonder about this area being a reef.  Reef-builder. 

Just so you all know, my 19 year old daughter, Jack, committed suicide in February.  I'm not sane at the moment.  The one thing that has kept me tethered is an intense need to find bigger and better potential fossils.  I spend so much time down at the creek looking at rocks.  I've found really great things, but I know nothing about paleontology.  Sometimes I come to this site and just copy/paste every other word just to know a little about what you are talking about.  Already I've learned so much, like I learned I need to learn, LOL.  If I have something from the riverbed that I'm willing to put on here, it's because I think it's worth your time.  Once I have a name for one of my own, well, the information will absorb so much better.  It will impress the heck out of my friends too. 

I'm very interested in finding fossils that have not been rolled smooth.  Next vacation, gonna find an easy dig site.

Julia,

I am very sorry for your loss.   :(  

That is something no parent should ever have to deal with. 

Please accept my condolences. 

I am glad that fossil/rock hunting have kept you somewhat grounded.

We are happy to help with the paleontology part. ;) 

You will get the hang of things.  

Kind regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you. I've learned.  Spent all day reading, looking up every other word, and taking notes.  The shell structure diagram... THANK YOU!  I've added it to my information.    

You are welcome ! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library