Help ID fossil Calvert Cliffs

willobea

Found this little piece yesterday, I have some whale teeth, but may be a Claw core from an alligator? Found in my secret place along Calvert Cliffs. Thanks for any help on this one!

:)

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

Looks clawish to Me, but I am not well versed with claws. It does not resemble the whale teeth I am familiar with.

Tony

PS Nice shark teeth!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Looks clawish to Me, but I am not well versed with claws. It does not resemble the whale teeth I am familiar with.

Tony

PS Nice shark teeth!

Thank you! I have so many finds I will start sharing! I think Troodon is correct in being a peccary incisor after looking up some photos.

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Not anything I recognize.  Looks more avian than reptilian . . . NOT a crocodilian.  See the variety of claw cores/unguals in my Gallery album, BONES.

Thanks so much for you input!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Incisor from a peccary?

Collected at Calvert

20161104_090825.jpg

I think this is it! Nice jaw BTW !!!

Great find!

Trodon helped me id a peccary tooth from the cliffs as well. Very cool that we are able to find terrestrial fossils in a Miocene marine environment.

3 hours ago, lissa318 said:

Nice finds!!! :D

Thanks! I will need to post my other things in the gallery, I have a lot of things....

3 hours ago, JMUFossil said:

Great find!

Trodon helped me id a peccary tooth from the cliffs as well. Very cool that we are able to find terrestrial fossils in a Miocene marine environment.

Thank you. I posted a pic on my New Member page of some of my best finds! Oh it's great to have quick access to information now! I also have a peccary with blueish enamel. I am going to try and get photos of all my things soon and put them in the gallery.

Canine from a peccary?  Not like any of my examples.  This proposal caused me to realize that this curved

object is probably a beach-polished ROOT from a still unidentified canine.  I was trying to make this the enamel

end of a tooth.  I should have realized that canine crowns of familiar animals are not grooved like this, while roots may be.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

the rightmost tooth is a mako. the leftmost one is a hemipristis serra. they are both sharks and are common finds around the world.:)

p.s. I am a novice to other fossils, but I can recongize shark teeth fairly quickly and accurately

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Can you post a picture of the side of the tooth that is on the inside of the curve? That surface will settle if it is a peccary canine or some kind of whale tooth.

It's not a Squalodon tooth, and it's definitely not a claw since it is made out of enamel and dentine (claw cores are bone). I really doubt this is a whale tooth; if it were 1/3 the size, it would be a close match for the platanistid dolphin Araeodelphis natator - but there aren't any known odontocetes with teeth that sized that are curved like that. My vote goes for land mammal. Also, if the posterior side (inside of the curve) has any sort of a flat facet that would give it a semi triangular cross section, that's a dead giveaway that it's not from a cetacean.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with the ID OF Mako thooth on the right.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The genus for hastalis is now Carcharodon.  So the tooth on the left (Carcharodon hastalis) is a great white (researchers prefer white shark as the common name) tooth and not a mako tooth.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

7 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hi Marco,

Have you got a reference to the reassignment of I. hastalis to Carcharodon?  Thanks!

Don

Don

Same reference as Boesse has already posted.  However, irrespective of what the researchers call hastalis, if you compare hastalis teeth to the teeth of the extant great white and the two extant makos, shortfin and longfin, you'll see why it makes sense that hastalis is a great white ancestor and not a mako.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 1 year later...

Sorry to have disappeared from the site! I will take another photo and see if we can get a confirmation of land mammal. The other two I find regularly around here, I thought it was a Mako too... ? I was just showing my best pieces haul for that particular hunt.