Red Flag on Kem Kem Dinosaur Material

Troodon

True, it doesn't seem that pronounced. But there does seem to be a slight bulge that might be that plateau. It actually kinda looks in between my and the Sigilmassasaurus specimen.

I would say that a better photo of the underside is needed for a proper ID.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

24 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

True, it doesn't seem that pronounced. But there does seem to be a slight bulge that might be that plateau. It actually kinda looks in between my and the Sigilmassasaurus specimen.

I would say that a better photo of the underside is needed for a proper ID.

Agree but its a nice Spinosaurid cervical 

Hey everyone LT tagged me that Sigilmassasaurus cervical vert is from Begga or near by, a lot of the others with the purple/grey clay on come from a location near erfoud.

• I found this Informative 1

I just love to read this discussion as there is so much to lern for me here right now.

Big thx for @LordTrilobite for your post.

I'm impressed with the amount of material there seems to be from Sigilmassasaurus. I thought only a few verts from a single specimen where every found. Or am I getting something wrong? Can anyone help me with what material is associated for now with Sigilmassasaurus? :) 

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I present you a vertebra presented as Spinosaurus. 
The seller told me that there are evidently some parts glued back (but that they all belong to this vertebra). There are indeed some glued parts with maybe a little bit of missing matrix filling, can you confirm that? 
What do you think about the process?

If someone can give me his observations on this piece and what he thinks about it?

IMG_5555.png

IMG_5552.png

IMG_5553.png

IMG_5554.png

IMG_5556.png

IMG_5558.png

Yes the transverse and prezygapophysis processes have been poorly reattached with their glue matrix mix.   Not a clean break they've added material on all of them see photo as an example so there is no way to determine it's from the same animal.

1657193788836.jpg.36f79528d11464321fc5928553e50ae5.jpg

The neural spine has also most likely been added but with all the color variations with matrix it's harder to see.  All the work done is typical of local Moroccan diggers and very poorly done.   Are they from the same animal no way to tell unless you are the digger but I would say if it's typical of others I've seen sold it's unlikely.   A clean break on the processes would have helped answer that since they are highly altered I would question how the seller could make that statement.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with Frank that the transverse processes and prezygapophyses look reattached. The neural spine looks quite alright. But it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some glueing there too.

It's hard to tell if this is a composite or a repaired original. Even on complete specimens, quick and dirty repairs are common. So sometimes it looks worse than it actually is.

On the whole I would say that this looks pretty sound in terms of anatomy. So if it's a composite, it's one of the better ones. This might be a vert worth to gamble on. But it could turn out to be a composite of different pieces.

Looks like a mid anterior caudal of a spinosaur.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

56 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

quick and dirty repairs are common

I wish they did a better job, then again the prices would be higher :default_faint: