aerogrower

So as the tags indicate this is my first attempt at prepping a fossil. It is something I always wanted to do, but never thought possible. My wife, adult son, and I attended a gem and mineral show here in Michigan a couple weeks ago. As we were strolling around looking at all the displays and vendors we stumbled upon this. I think I was hooked before I finished reading the sign.

20161016_143950.jpg

Half hour later and a little negotiation I left with this, the nicest looking one of several even to an untrained eye. What appears to be the bottom, then the top, and a picture looking at the mouth head on.20161017_184349.jpg20161017_184426.jpg20161017_184445.jpg

I could tell from doing "European mounts' on Whitetail deer, that this was the front and bottom jaw area, so this is where I started.20161017_184402.jpg

The only tools I have right now are some dental type picks and an electric engraver. I have an air scribe coming as an anniversary gift but until then I am making do.20161028_214109_001.jpg 

This was about four or five hours in! What a beautiful smile don't you think?

Ten hours in and life is calling. But I will be back at it in the next few day, so wish me luck. Any constructive criticism is welcome, and appreciated. Go easy lol. More pics are coming, but I exceeded my upload limit.

Here is an old topic detailing an oreodont prep. Prepping's a lot of fun. I know you will enjoy it. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Snolly50

Already read it many times before I started! Very nice thread. Thank you. 

Looks great so far.

be sure to have cyanoacrylate/superglue at the ready for if something breaks off.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Already used it a couple times to keep things in place before they could fall off. Hopefully I can keep up on it. Probably wishfull thinking.

This is where I stopped. Ten hours in. The damage on the left was how I got it other than some glue to keep some teeth.20161030_095354.jpg

You now have a fan base ...and its as if we're all awaiting the next episode of a soap opera.

I'm enjoying watching the plot unfold on this specimen.

More to come I promise, between work, and getting the farm ready for winter has been keeping me busy!! On a high note I order an air scribe so progress should be quicker when I do get back at it. Thanks for the well wishes, cant wait myself to keep going. 

Looks really good! 

Take your time, though. 

Patience is one of the most useful tools. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

you gotta think about what the final goal is.  Are you planning to leave this in the rock, in which case y ou might want to leave some rock under the base of the lower jaws a s a stand.  or do you want to take it completely out.  This is a mistake some beginners make, including myself.  Completely out is a lot more work and it doesn't look as good, n this writer's opinion.  I have one oreo skull that is completely free of matrix and it looks just like a modern skull to the untrained eye.  

Thanks for the advice @jpc I read that in a thread also. I agree entirely . When my new air scribe gets here I intend to start going around the sides and start working my way towards the top of skull. Probably will leave a nice chunk on bottom and back for a stand/effect. That's my intention we will see. Hoping to be back at it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so after a couple week break I have made some progress. I started by getting an air scriber (cp 9361) and I have to say what a major difference between that and the electric engraver. I achieved twice as much in half the time. Anyway I figured I would take the advice several have given about leaving some matrix on bottom, and started going towards the top. I started on the left side and was only at it an hour or so and discovered this! Picture on left is were I left off, pic on right is what I discovered. The top teeth are in right spot but the upper jaw is out of place by an inch. 

20161030_095354.jpg20161120_120214.jpg

I was surprised to find that to be the case on other side as well! I was surprised that I was able to recognize what was happening before I ruined it. Got a lot accomplished in the time I put in, maybe 5 more hours.20161121_063043.jpg20161121_063110.jpg

Archived