what is this mosasaur

Prognathodon saturator 101

i dont know exactaly but it could only be two mosasaurs eather mosasaurus or prognathodon however i dout it is prognathodon due to the overall shape of it also the tooth is very large it is 2.5 cm tall at the highest point if not taller and about 2.5 3 cms across

20161105_180401[1].jpg

Mosasaur teeth are very hard to identify just by the tooth crown. And half the tooth crown is missing here so that makes it even harder. The general shape of it reminds me more of Prognathodon than Mosasaurus. but due to the missing tip I don't think it's possible to say conclusively.

One thing that might help is to check if there are ridges on the enamel or if the enamel is smooth. Mosasaurus tend to have ridges/fluting on the teeth. Though due to differences in species as well as differences between individuals they don't always have these ridges. If there are ridges it's more likely to be Mosasaurus.

The larger Prognathodon species tend to have fatter teeth than Mosasaurus. These are for crushing bones. Mosasaurus generally has thinner teeth that are better for cutting rather than crushing.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

thank you thats very helpful information to help me with identifying future mosasaur teeth