Nanotyrannus lancensis femur

Susan from PA

Here is the newest addition to my dinosaur fossil collection.  I normally don't share my new additions, unless there is something that might interest other collectors to go along with the specimen.  This is a right femur from Nanotyrannus lancensis.  It was found by a rancher friend of mine, on a neighboring ranch in Custer County, Montana, Hell Creek Formation.  It was prepped and identified by Neal Larson.   

I am in the camp that Nanotyrannus is a valid taxon, and I enjoy reading publications and watching documentaries that try to prove or disprove that it is.  As I was reading an article called "The Case for Nanotyrannus" by Pete Larson, published in a book called Tyrannosaurid Paleobiology, I found an interesting table, pictured below.  

image.jpg

According to this table, Jane's femur, who Larson believes to be a Nanotyrannus, is 720mm, or 28 inches in length.  In the National Geographic documentary, "Dino Death Match", Jane's femur was studied histologically at Oklahoma State University, and found to be that of a juvenile.  Her corresponding tibia was found to be 31 inches in length.   For comparisons sake, member Troodon kindly provided me with the measurements for the femur and tibia from the Nanotyrannus of the Dueling Dinos, believed to be an adult specimen.   The measurements are as follows: femur is 760mm or 30 inches long, and the tibia is 863mm or 34 inches long.  

That being said.  This little femur is 19 inches in length, making it a juvenile younger than Jane, and a little less than 2/3 the length of an adult.  

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

(under construction. More in a minute).   :) 

• I found this Informative 3

I'm just thrilled with this little femur.  Here it is next to my 34 inch adult Nanotyrannus tibia.  If anyone finds a 30 inch Nano right femur that needs a home, give me a shout! I'm trying to build a Nanotyrannus leg and foot! :).  

image.jpg

Beautiful pair,  congratulations, they found a perfect home.   Good luck with the leg.  You might want to give Clayton a call an see if he's willing to part with parts of his Dueling Dino's legs  :D  

A very beautiful pair of bones. They really seem to be in fantastic condition. I've resisted the urge to collect anything but teeth for the past 20 years but when I see examples like yours I have second thoughts. Fortunately for me and my bank account, I really don't have the room. Teeth take up a lot less space.

27 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Beautiful pair,  congratulations, they found a perfect home.   Good luck with the leg.  You might want to give Clayton a call an see if he's willing to part with parts of his Dueling Dino's legs  :D  

Thanks so much! :).   You are too funny, Troodon!  If I ever win a big Powerball jackpot, the Dueling Dinos and Baby Bob are going to have a great home!  I'll buy them and donate them to a museum where all can study and learn from them.  I do realize that I have a better chance of being struck by lightening twice in the same spot, but it never hurts to dream.  

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

A very beautiful pair of bones. They really seem to be in fantastic condition. I've resisted the urge to collect anything but teeth for the past 20 years but when I see examples like yours I have second thoughts. Fortunately for me and my bank account, I really don't have the room. Teeth take up a lot less space.

Thanks so much!  I'm a dentist, so I love to collect teeth as well. :).   Nice, large bones are sometimes hard to come by, and I don't have that many, but there are some that I can't resist.  

12 minutes ago, Susan from PA said:

Thanks so much!  I'm a dentist, so I love to collect teeth as well. :).   Nice, large bones are sometimes hard to come by, and I don't have that many, but there are some that I can't resist.  

That's funny! I used to use the user name Dinotooth a lot and I had a number of people over the years ask me if I was a dentist. I'm not.