Flexicalymene? Real or Fake?

tomzhang1257

Hey, there, a while ago my dad bought a trilobite (flexicalymene?) from a trip, I recently found it in my pond and I washed away the algae and dirt and stuff, however the fossil (if real) seems really fragile, it broke into numerous pieces while cleaning. I noticed that there are two color layers in the cross section of the trilobite, and some of the pieces seem like they are just carved out of a rock, no bone structure or anything to separate itself from the rock. The only detail that is convincing me that this might be a real is that there are numerous little shell structures beneath the trilobite (see pictures). So please help me identify the type of trilobite and most importantly if it is real. Thanks in advance. (sorry for bad english)

Sorry for tiny images, the forum won't let me upload more than 3 MB

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

7 minutes ago, Kosmoceras said:

Yes this is a genuine trilobite, Flexicalymene ouzregui, of Moroccan origin.

So would this be a 100% real flexicalymene?

It is very likely it is a genuine Flexicalymene as they are relatively common and not really worth faking.

Here is a link to another thread where one of our members (second post down) provides more information about this species: 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

These are sometimes restored in places or made into a composite from unrelated "heads and tails", but this one looks fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear it broke.

It's real.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 month later...

You can get small ohio flexicalymene trilobtes that look very nice for a reasonable price on ebay and other places.  Large rough ones like the one that you have that was broken can be found for a few dollars.

Archived