Possible sponge?

DNF

Hey all, this is another find from a creek in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

The matrix is some more of that possible quartzite that produced a few trilobite fragments. I'm still trying to find a source so I can hopefully put a name to the formation.

I'm wondering if it might be a sponge? It has a very curved shape to it, but I had a hard time getting photos that didn't make it look flat. It's about two inches long.

Thanks for looking :)20161106_142049.png20161106_141350.png20161106_141450.png

What I think I could determine in your pictures are crinoid parts; one maybe two eroded columnals visible on the surface, the larger ones: (bottom-center, bottom-right in picture 2) and possibly one eroded columnal in longitudinal section (bottom-left in picture 2); also, possibly, a bryozoan in the same picture (bottom far- left) meeting another one (or part of the same) at north-east direction. I couldn't conclude properly if the stellar shaped forms are sponge spicules or coral septa. The whole ensemble looks to be part of a complex concretionary structure, to me.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

DNF, As I look at your pictures I am reminded of a rock unit in NY, PA and Canada called the Oriskany Sandstone, a pure white Quartz sandstone that frequently has Brachiopods, Corals and other fossils that have dissolved away leaving colored impressions. The Oriskany is Devonian in age. See if the Oriskany extends southward to WV.  

• I found this Informative 2

Awesome, thanks abyssunder. I've only found a few pieces of this type of rock so far and don't know what to expect from it.

I had wondered if you would see crinoid imprints in a sponge, so concretion makes sense.

I cleaned about 3/4 of this off with my aro and chisel and there was a minute void between it and the matrix like I have seen with some brachiopod internal molds in other materials.

Would this info help or hurt a concretion ID? Thanks again.

I think we might be using the same search engine :). Thanks again, I'm excited to find out what material this is and I have a good feeling you've nailed it.