Tool to cut stone

belemniten

Hi !

I search a tool which can cut stones ...

So for example a saw like this: http://onlineshop.real.de/Steintrennmaschine-RT-SC-570-L/0483921001001?adword=onlineshop/google/sales/PLA-S&adword=onlineshop/google/sales/02_Haus-und-Garten/(DE:SAD)_Heimwerken/&gclid=CKGPy6WGldACFZEW0wodHW8C8Q ?

Is this a good tool ? It shouldnt be too big or too loud ....

Thanks for your help !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Hi Sebastian,

The saw you link to, looks to be a dry cutting saw. That can be very dusty and unhealthy if a dust mask isn't worn. This type of saw does cut stone well, but is size limited and a larger diameter blade with wet saw would be a big improvement. When you say you wish to cut stone, I am assuming you wish to trim specimens.

• I found this Informative 1

No own experience with this special saw, but according to the description, it is a wet cutting saw.

If I need to trim slabs, I prefer to go to a stonecutter. Much better and more versatile tools.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I bought a 10 inch tile saw about 16 years ago and have rarely used it for tile jobs.  (I think 3 jobs), but have used it thousands of times to cut rock with fossils.  Good luck on whatever you choose.

RB

22 hours ago, Troodon said:

All depends what your planning to cut, size and its frequency.   

Thanks troodon !

I want to trim for example this specimen:

Nr.2 T.JPG

Its a nice and not small tooth (2.5 cm) but its on a very big stone (about 20 cm long).....

21 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Hi Sebastian,

The saw you link to, looks to be a dry cutting saw. That can be very dusty and unhealthy if a dust mask isn't worn. This type of saw does cut stone well, but is size limited and a larger diameter blade with wet saw would be a big improvement. When you say you wish to cut stone, I am assuming you wish to trim specimens.

Thanks for your help fossilcrazy ! 

I dont know much about methods and tools to cut stones, so i want a good saw but not the most expensive, which is maybe a bit better than others ...

Thanks for your advice with the sanitary risks (problems). 

18 hours ago, oilshale said:

No own experience with this special saw, but according to the description, it is a wet cutting saw.

If I need to trim slabs, I prefer to go to a stonecutter. Much better and more versatile tools.

Thomas

Thanks oilshale ... 

So is it a wet cutting saw or a dry cutting saw ??

Good  idea with the stonecutter .... that is a nice alternative ! I will try it.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I bought a 10 inch tile saw about 16 years ago and have rarely used it for tile jobs.  (I think 3 jobs), but have used it thousands of times to cut rock with fossils.  Good luck on whatever you choose.

RB

Thanks ! I think i will need this luck ;)

BTW Do you have a link of the saw you have (or a similar model) ? Thanks ...

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I cut quite a bit of material with an ordinary skill saw with a diamond blade. To minimize the dust, besides cutting outside, I take my garden hose and trickle water on the blade as I cut. Cheap but effective if you  want to go that route. For thicker slabs, I score front and back and then break it off with a chisel and hammer. Usually get clean breaks. Good luck.

If you just want to trim, you could also use a flex, but John's idea with a tile saw is also good. I have one myself. They're good for any relatively soft stone, like from Holzmaden or Solnhofen up to a thickness of 4-5cm. or even double that if you flip them over and cut again. Wet saws with diamond blades can get expensive.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I cut quite a bit of material with an ordinary skill saw with a diamond blade. To minimize the dust, besides cutting outside, I take my garden hose and trickle water on the blade as I cut. Cheap but effective if you  want to go that route. For thicker slabs, I score front and back and then break it off with a chisel and hammer. Usually get clean breaks. Good luck.

Ok thanks for your help ! Appreciate it !

41 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

If you just want to trim, you could also use a flex, but John's idea with a tile saw is also good. I have one myself. They're good for any relatively soft stone, like from Holzmaden or Solnhofen up to a thickness of 4-5cm. or even double that if you flip them over and cut again. Wet saws with diamond blades can get expensive.

Thanks ludwigia ! I think that is what i search ...

Thanks so much ... I think i have convince my parents and then its a great christmas present :D

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

3 hours ago, belemniten said:
3 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thanks oilshale ... 

So is it a wet cutting saw or a dry cutting saw ??

Definitely a wet cutting saw !

Check under "zur Detailbeschreibung":

http://onlineshop.real.de/Steintrennmaschine-RT-SC-570-L/0483921001001?adword=onlineshop/google/sales/PLA-S&adword=onlineshop/google/sales/02_Haus-und-Garten/(DE:SAD)_Heimwerken/&gclid=CKGPy6WGldACFZEW0wodHW8C8Q#product_details

Artikelbeschreibung Steintrennmaschine RT-SC 570 L

Die robuste Steintrennmaschine RT-SC 570 L ist durch die schnelle und problemlose Montage der vier serienmäßigen Standfüße sowohl für den stationären als auch für den mobilen Einsatz bestens geeignet. Mit ihren umfangreichen Möglichkeiten ist sie ein vielseitiges Arbeitsgerät für den Profieinsatz.
Das Gerät ist zum präzisen Schneiden unterschiedlicher Formate von Betonplatten, Pflastersteinen, Marmor- und Granitplatten, Ziegel oder Fliesen aller Art geeignet. Mit wenigen Handgriffen können sowohl Gehrungs- und Doppelgehrungsschnitte als auch Jollyschnitte mit einer Länge von bis zu 570 mm ausgeführt werden. Durch die integrierte Kühlmittelpumpe sind eine optimale Kühlung der Diamantscheibe und ein staubfreies Arbeiten gewährleistet.
Die Steintrennmaschine ist mit einem Laser ausgestattet, der die exakte Trennlinie auf dem zu bearbeitenden Material anzeigt. Des weiteren kann die Lasereinheit, die über einen magnetischen Adapter an der Maschine befestigt ist, abgenommen und extern als Lasernivelliergerät zum Verlegen von Bodenbelägen o. ä. verwendet werden. Die Lasereinheit ist hierzu mit zwei Wasserwaagen-Libellen ausgestattet.

massive Trennscheibenabdeckung aus Stahlblech
Wasserauffangwanne mit integrierter Pumpe zur
Kühlwasserförderung und Ablassstöpsel

Herzliche Grüße

Thomas (oilshale)

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).