November 2016 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

We had two more first time winners for October!  What will take the prize this month.....    :trex:   :trilo:  :ammonite01:   :meg::bone:  :plant:  ????

Remember...carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fossil!  If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken through November 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 2 weeks later...

I can not believe there are no entries yet and it is half way through this month!:headscratch:

I have seen some really nice finds posted elsewhere on the forum, why not here.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I can give it a shot!

I found this lovely specimen while searching in the Late Mississippian Pennington Formation. The recent drought unveiled some new layers that I had not yet collected and I snatched this little guy up and brought him home. When I found it, only a small amount of the tooth was exposed, but after careful preparation with a needle and vinegar, a primitive shark tooth, unseen for about 320 million years, was brought to the surface! 

EDIT: Scale is 1 square cm per black box

Glikmanius occidentalis

Pennington Formation

Late Mississippian (Late Carboniferous)

320 Million Years Old

East Tennessee

glikman.JPG

A good start!  It does seem that fossils submitted for these contests really begin pouring in toward the end of the month.  It will likely stagnate around the holidays for good reason.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I will be posting my find soon!

I was splitting some shale in the garage just to thin it down and popped out a lovely leaf that is headed to FBNM :)

52 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I will be posting my find soon!

I was splitting some shale in the garage just to thin it down and popped out a lovely leaf that is headed to FBNM :)

:popcorn:

By the way - what is FBNM?  (OH duh-- fossil butte natural museum).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

:popcorn:

By the way - what is FBNM?  (OH duh-- fossil butte natural museum).

Ahh yes!

you figured it out, sorry, so used to calling it "the butte" or FBNM!

I'll start the IPFOTM category off

Unidentified crinoid

Mifflin mbr, Platteville formation

Middle ordovician

Grant County, Wisconsin

Found: November 16, 2016

20161117_104900_Richtone(HDR)_resized.jpg

20161117_105038_Richtone(HDR)_resized.jpg

20161117_105100_Richtone(HDR)_resized.jpg

...I'm back.

I want to play :) found November 16th, 2016 while digging for fencing in our yard. Sarasota, FL not positive of specific species. Taking suggestions ;) Arca wagneriana? Arca zebra? Something else?

Tamiami Formation

Phylum: Mollusca

Class: Bivalvia

Order: Arcoida

Family: Arcidae

Genus: Arca

9F2162D1-E485-414A-AA75-8BD6B7906A2C.jpg

On 11/18/2016 at 0:44 AM, Jonelle said:

I want to play :) found November 16th, 2016 while digging for fencing in our yard. Sarasota, FL not positive of specific species. Taking suggestions ;) Arca wagneriana? Arca zebra? Something else?

Tamiami Formation

Phylum: Mollusca

Class: Bivalvia

Order: Arcoida

Family: Arcidae

Genus: Arca

9F2162D1-E485-414A-AA75-8BD6B7906A2C.jpg

Arca wagneriana

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

@MikeR I was actually about to bump my post in the ID section with new photos to get a confirmation from someone.. thanks! I'll post it since I took the time to take it ;) 

_MG_1688.JPG

Hi.  Here's my best invertebrate fossil from this month.  I found a few larger Goniatites this month but this one is the best preserved one I have found.

Goniatite

Pennine Lower Coal Measures formation (Upper Carboniferous)

West Yorkshire, UK

I found the nodule on Saturday the 12th of November 2016 but I discovered the fossil today when I split the nodule open.

Daniel

image.jpgimage.jpg

Hi,

A invertebrate for IPFOTM  .

A Clypeaster (unidentified genus) from Miocene, Burdigalian (16 - 23),  found in Portugal, at 5th of November 2016

5-11-2016 (1).jpg5-11-2016 (3).jpg5-11-2016 (2).jpg

Best Regards

Filipe

TNCollector, so far your competition seems to be a bit sparce. It would be rather anticlimactic to win completely unchallenged. Hopefully someone will enter something in the vertebrate category to give a proper vote split.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

TNCollector, so far your competition seems to be a bit sparce. It would be rather anticlimactic to win completely unchallenged. Hopefully someone will enter something in the vertebrate category to give a proper vote split.

Doren I will put 2 entries in the vertebrate category, to give a little more competition :dinothumb:.

I'am only waiting for the hunting of next weekend to see if hits what i have for now :).

It often seems that there is a rush of posts at the end of the month.  It's a little premature to be concerned that TNCollector's very worthy entry will be unopposed.

Don

Never played at this, and we need another chordate in the mix to at least present the illusion of challenge. 

Placoderm plate, ?Protitanichthys sp. (Thanks to Scott for the tentative and likely ID)

Widder Fm (Hamilton Gp), Mid-Devonian

Found in the Arkona region, Ontario, Canada

Specimen is about 5 cm in length. Colouration is faint light blue (no artificial staining).

Preparation: no prep (most is already exposed naturally).

placo.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Oooo, very nice challenge indeed! Great natural prep, thanks Ms. Nature ( I don't believe she ever married).

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Mother Nature, by what I've been told, is a third-wave feminist and abjures conspicuous decoration ;):P

(credit for "conspicuous decoration" comes from Thorstein Veblen's article in Popular Science Monthly about female dress, circa 1894).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 11/21/2016 at 7:24 PM, Vieira said:

Clypeaster (unidentified genus) 

Clypeaster is the genus, did you mean unidentified species?

One for vertebrate category. I found this stingray barb in 19th of November 2016 and i finish the preparation in 23 November.

Stingray barb

Cenozoic

Miocene

Burdigalian (16 - 23)

Formation: Calcarenitos e margas de Foz da Fonte e Penedo Sul - Portugal

636152755068726746.jpg   IMG-20161123-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20161123-WA0008.jpg

Lovely barb--much more complete than the ones we find while screening the gravel beds in the Peace River. Those tend to be tumbled and broken and nowhere near as complete as that fine specimen.

Cheers.

-Ken

10 minutes ago, digit said:

Lovely barb--much more complete than the ones we find while screening the gravel beds in the Peace River. Those tend to be tumbled and broken and nowhere near as complete as that fine specimen.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken

Here i also found some in the gravel beds, but as you said those are always broken... This is the first that I find complete... It's in a large block and was possibly exposed for a short time...

Hi,

Ah yes ! Very nice and good prep !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg