November 2016 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Ah yes ! Very nice and good prep !

Coco

Thanks Coco.

The preparation was very easy... this sediment ir very soft and easy to clean.

It would be a trip-maker for me for sure. Lovely specimen.

It's interesting to see similar types of fossils to those we find in South Florida appearing in such distant parts of the world.

Cheers.

-Ken

7 hours ago, digit said:

It would be a trip-maker for me for sure. Lovely specimen.

It's interesting to see similar types of fossils to those we find in South Florida appearing in such distant parts of the world.

Cheers.

-Ken

You right Ken

It's very interesting inded. :)

We have also a formation in our jurassic, very similar with the Morrison formation in Wyoming. The dino species are very similar...

6 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice stingray barb.  I think it looks great left on the matrix like that.

Don

Thanks Don :).

Yes i'm from the same opinion and i'll leave it like this in the matrix...

Found today (25th November) in a nodule from a shale by a stream, this is the most iridescent Carboniferous inarticulate brachiopod I've come across. Phosphatic inarticulate brachiopods often have a bluish sheen but this one gleamed out as soon as I cracked it open.

"Lingula" squamiformis Phillips. About 14mm long.

Brigantian stage (Mississippian), County Durham, UK.

IMG_2234 (1).jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Tarquin

On 11/25/2016 at 1:28 PM, TqB said:

Found today (25th November) in a nodule from a shale by a stream, this is the most iridescent Carboniferous inarticulate brachiopod I've come across. Phosphatic inarticulate brachiopods often have a bluish sheen but this one gleamed out as soon as I cracked it open.

"Lingula" squamiformis Phillips. About 14mm long.

Brigantian stage (Mississippian), County Durham, UK.

IMG_2234 (1).jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Welp, this seals the IPFOTM award...lol.

...I'm back.

I found this megalodon tooth on 11/05/16 (almost on 11/04). I hunted for several days and they were largely unproductive due to sand covering everything on the beach. On my second day, I decided to dig through some of the fall piles since I wasn't having much luck surface hunting. I had actually checked out the boulders on the previous day, but decided to take a closer look. I returned to one boulder that I had noticed a small black nodule in and gave it another poke. It didn't budge, so I decided to chip away some of the clay just above it... and that's when I saw serrations (you can actually see a darker spot on the right root lobe on labial side, which was all that was exposed). I then very carefully chipped away the clay surrounding the tooth until I was able to safely extract it. I cleared away the clay, revealing the nicest megalodon tooth that I have ever found. Sorry for the long story, but I thought it was quite funny that I had technically found this tooth on the previous hunt and didn't realize it. 

Carcharocles megalodon/chubutensis

Calvert Cliffs, Maryland

Calvert/Choptank Formation 

3 1/4" inches

IMG_2838.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

28 minutes ago, calhounensis said:

A nice tooth for sure, it looks more like C. chubutensis to my eye.

Thank you! Given the beach that it was found on, it could be either. I think you are right though. I will edit my post.

Finally going to post this one. I've reached the limits of my prepping abilities and don't want to cause more damage to it..

Here's a link to the trip: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/64350-smr-april-15th/&page=1

This is one of three blocks of associated bones I found on that trip to SMR in Sarasota, Florida. Originally I thought all were associated, after doing prep on all three I think they were all part of the same layer that preserved several associated skeletons. The layer I believe overlays the Tamiami Formation and is Pliocene/Pleistocene in age. I have two specimens of Alligator mississippiensis and an unidentified turtle, showing that it is a terrestrial environment rather than marine like the underlying formation. After today, I would estimate there is about 25+ hours in this piece alone. There are 10 visible osteoderms, a limb bone, 8 rib bones, and 8 complete and partial vertebrae. I assume there is many more osteoderms under the surface but I don't have the right equipment to go any deeper in the matrix. The matrix is rock hard and the bone is rather fragile, making detail work very difficult to complete without damaging. There is an interesting feature on the one side that I'm not sure is just 'fill' from being buried or preserved soft tissue. If you look at the vertebrae you can see what I'm talking about in the vertebral foramen.

FullSizeRender 3.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Original date of the find is April 16, 2016.

As I write this and finish the prep to my abilities it is November 28, 2016

This is my first entry into this competition so I hope I have all the right information in here.

Good luck to all,

Daniel

Wow, this is shaping up to be a really great month!

My entry was found November 12th at the Orlando Smith St. roadcut in Jonesville, IL- this little tooth has a magnificent enamel gleam that caught my eye- it is by far the best preserved Paleozoic shark tooth in my collection. I also found a decent Petalodus, but the block it was in split, along with the tooth, so that one needs more prep work. 

Peripristis semicircularis 

LaSalle Limestone Member, Bond Formation

Pennsylvanian

Jonesville, IL

Found November 12th

20161112_162535-1.jpg

20161129_080018_2.jpg

20161127_144437_1.jpg

Vertebrate entry.

Found 27/11/16. Finished Prep today (30/11/16, thread here

It's the right hand side from a Pallimnarchus pollens lower jaw. This was a species of crocodile the lived during the Pliocene-Pleistocene.

Pliocene,

Queensland, Australia.

P Pollens 1.jpg

P Pollens 2.jpg

P Pollens 3.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Entry 1 for vertebrate fossil of the month :) 

Found November 27th, 2016 Casperan Beach (Venice, FL) 

Peace River Formation

(unknown) shark tooth 

_MG_1746.jpg

Entry 2 for vertebrate fossil of the month :) 

Found November 28th, 2016 Casperan Beach (Venice, FL) 

Peace River Formation

unknown shark tooth 

_MG_1743 (2).jpg

• JohnJ locked this topic

Archived