ischua

Is there a way to clean pyrite? I have a Athyris spiriferiodes that is trimmed in pyrite that looks better to the eye than the photo shows. I think it will be better if there is a way to clean it

IMG_1172.JPG

I would soak it briefly in rubbing alcohol to saturate it.  Then, dip a firm toothbrush in vinegar and scrub it using some kind of magnification.  Drop it back into the alcohol as a final rinse, then let dry and repeat as needed. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

An interesting note regarding Athyris spiriferoides from WNY. A study was done dissolving the pyritized Brachiopods in acid to reveal the delicate Lophophore replaced by Pyrite.

I'm not suggesting you do that; just saying what has been done. To clean your specimen without harming it, I suggest Micro Abrading with a media like Dolomite, Calcite or Sodium Bicarbonate.

I have done this ( I used ATH) and it reveals the bright golden Marcasite crystals attached to the shell exterior.   

• I found this Informative 3

The pyrite might contain valuable paleo-ecological information,being an indicator of anaerobic diagenesis(and an important one,at that).

It's a pity i can't find the Greek delta B);)

Earlier this week I received a box with three different materials for the abrader none of witch did anything. I don't want to damage it so I think I will let it be or get a better idea.

Thanks much!

• 1 month later...

Comet.  The household powder that comes in a round, green container.

Dip the piece in water sprinkle on the comet and scrub with a toothbrush.

I've been doing this for years with my Devonian pyritized fossils from Toledo and Buffalo and my nodules from Indianapolis.

Have never seen a bit of damage from it.

IMG_0592 (800x663) (800x663).jpg

IMG_1090 (1024x768).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Are you attempting to remove the pyrite, or simply clean it?

If cleaning, I use the following process (posted in many other places on the forum where cleaning pyrite is discussed.

Mix 1 cup of Iron Out Rust Remover (available at most hardware stores) with 1 gallon of water.

Soak your pyrite in this solution overnight

Don't panic when you pull them out in the morning as they will be stained black

Scrub with dish soap or concentrated Simple Green and a tooth brush

Rinse with plenty of water

Towel dry and allow to sit for at least 24 hours. Or dry for a few hours in your oven on the lowest setting with the door cracked open.

Next, mix some PVA (B-15), Butvar, or Paraloid with acetone using this ratio by volume (1 part plastic:50 parts acetone

Soak the pyrite in this solution or apply several coats by brush to seal out moisture

This will preserve your pyrite for eternity.

• I found this Informative 4