Niobrara Tooth - Gove Co, KS - Help ID and Repair?

chg057

TFF,

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to find (what I consider) a tremendous tooth specimen in Gove County, KS. Unfortunately, plant roots got to the tip of it before I could and because I was a space case and didn't bring superglue, the tip and about 10 other pieces connecting the body to the tip fell away when I excavated it. 

It's relatively long and straight over its length and it appeared to be separated from the rest of the remains. I tried navigating the Oceans of Kansas site for researching what it belonged to. My first guess is Tylosaurus but I could be completely wrong. Forgive me for not being more educated in Mosasaurs. Does anybody have suggestions for the ID? 

I just finished trying to reconstruct it myself but my star bond bottle decided it wouldn't seal and now my hands are covered in superglue. I've decided to come to the forum to see if there are any experts out there willing to do a clean and repair job on my tooth. No, it's probably not valuable, but it holds significant sentimental value since this is my first tooth find. 

I think i gathered all the major pieces to do the job but I feel under-equipped and do not feel like I have the experience to be able to put it back together. Before successfully gluing myself, I was able to put some much-needed glue down on the broken surfaces of the tooth and the tip of the tooth. Now, I think it's stable enough to be shipped if necessary. It'll come with 10 coin envelopes for the connecting pieces. 

Any help or or suggestions for who may be the best person to contact would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

IMG_0979.JPG

image.jpg

I merged your topics about this same specimen.  It is better to keep the information with a single topic rather than the repetitive responses generated by two topics.  ;) 

Congrats on finding your first tooth.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I merged your topics about this same specimen.  It is better to keep the information with a single topic rather than the repetitive responses generated by two topics.  ;) 

Congrats on finding your first tooth.  :)

Thanks - any idea on ID? 

Xyphacinus audax

A large boney fish.

Upper Cretaceous

You would probably have more success if you go get some Elmer's "wood" glue and only place one small piece on at a time allowing it to dry before proceeding.

Missing areas may be filled in with with "Elmer's" wood filler.

Once dried lightly sand it to shape and color it with some markers from the school supply area at Wallmart. Once satisfied with results coat with clear fingernail polish.

Bone2stone

Archived