Please help ID these ordovician brachipods from St Leon, In

dalmayshun

I recently was able to stop at the well known ordovician roadcut just north of St Leon in Indiana. What a wonder. I was able to be there only an hour, but it was fascinating. I was able to find these nice brachipods, but would like to label them correctly and so far books haven't helped me...I thought perhaps someone would be familiar with the brachiapods from that road cut and help me out. thanks. the people on this site are always helpful, and knowledgeable and so it is exciting to be a part of it all. The Brachiapod labeled 6, a,b,c are obviously three different views of the little guy. the coin for size in the edge of the photos is a dime. This brachiapod is so cool, one can see the opening edge between the two halves..so cool. 

brachipod-6-a.jpg

brachipoad-6-b.jpg

brachipoad-6-c.jpg

brachiapod-1.jpg

brachiapod-2.jpg

brachipod-4.jpg

brachipod-5.jpg

braciapod-3.jpg

I don't know too much about invertebrates but I'm pretty sure the long one third to last next to the dime is a Spirifer. Don't know the sp.

Nice specimens - great detail!

1st maybe genus Platystrophia

2nd maybe genus Herbertella

3rd maybe genus Raffinesquina

4th something in the big order of Spiriferid

5th another juvenile Herbertella?

6th maybe in the genus of Leptaena

Lots of "maybes", but a place to start looking.

1,2,3 Ryhchotrema

4, back of Hebertella

5, Strophomena or Rafinesquina

6, Platystrophia clarksvillensis?

7,  Hebertella again

8, Leptania richmondensis

my best guesses

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

tmaier, I'm shocked, I thought it was named after me

Thanks everyone, the link from Herb was especially helpful. From the link I think the first one is a Hiscobeccus capax...the site is a wonderful one; if any of you travel north through Indiana, it is well worth a short stop. Besides these Brachiopods, I have some great bryazoans, and about 6 wonderful horn corals. The corals are particularly beautiful, some were not even crushed or pressed down. Thanks again. You never disappoint, and I always learn things. 

Leptania??

I'm guessing Herb means Leptaena.

and Rhynchotrema.

Last one looks a bit like a chonetid to me.

Kudos for the photography!!

Brachiopods are incredibly homeomorphic,which is why the brachiopod literature abounds with sectioned specimens.

Atrypids are the worst

3 hours ago, Herb said:

tmaier, I'm shocked, I thought it was named after me

So did i.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Those are cool brachiopods, specially the first one.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

never said i could spell

Archived