Theresa

Found in creek in west central IN.  The second picture near the 2.5 mark looks to be the 'stem' end as the lines radiate from it.  

WP_20161107_14_35_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20161107_14_35_55_Pro.jpg

Thanks.  The creek that it came from is very short, probably less than 10 miles, if that.  Source of the creek is farm runoff and possibly springs.  I'm just amazed that fossils would get so beat up in a creek that small.  

There are other ways that it could be reduced to look like it is tumbled, but most fossils do not hold up well when traveling in a stream. They are much softer than most rock.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

If creek is farm runoff, it might have been the victim of a plow that cut it in two. Like Tony suggests, there may be many causes for it to have broken like that. If you found one, there is sure to be more where that came from.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes, I've only been there a couple of times.  The lady that owns it came down with me yesterday and found a more normal looking horn coral nearly as big.  Having only found really small corals and crinoids growing up, the size that we are finding in this creek is amazing.

Yup, horn coral. I've collected in Indiana a lot and found dozens like that. Because of their shape, they often become loose floaters that tumble long distances and get a lot of wear.

The tumbling has stripped off the outer shell, and you see the darker lines that are the septa that turned to calcite. Then there is some loose and fractured limestone that is white packed in between the septa. If you take a toothbrush and some vinegar you can remove some of the white limestone and see the structure of the septa better.

• I found this Informative 1