Penn Dixie oddity 2

ischua

A few more pictures from the pit. It first I thought trace tubes but now after cleaning I'm not sure. There is texture and segmentation everything is now pyrite

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

Am I seeing the grain on that first one right ? It looks like a curved shape when it's been sawed from a strait grained board.   

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Am I seeing the grain on that first one right ? It looks like a curved shape when it's been sawed from a strait grained board.   

It has almost a full revaluation it was gone over with dolomite to clean with water rinse.

Meantime Archie said that... 023.gif

I think, the brachiopod does have the Lingulida characters. Lingulida

(was my thought, also)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

17 minutes ago, Archie said:

Nice multi block! No idea what the curved object may be but the brachiopod looks like a Lingula sp.

4 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Meantime Archie said that... 023.gif

I think, the brachiopod does have the Lingulida characters. Lingulida

(was my thought, also)

This is what throws me off its almost plant like.  but I think Lingulida characters also

plant.jpg

If someone ( the third at least) agrees in the same manner in his conclusion like the precedent ones, that means the premissa could be good, then the conclusion must be true.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Definitely a Lingula sp. 

A gorgeous specimen, too. :wub:

See the comparison - Plate from Linsley - Devonian Paleontology of New York. 

Lingula-horz.jpg

The mystery item I would think either a pyritized burrow, or, ... a part of a crinoid holdfast?

Neat finds.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

nice Lingula sp., maybe a crinoid stem on the first one?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

After being stuck with a rather large honey do list I snuck in a couple of hours of work prepping. I really appreciate everyone's help.

1.  Tag will read Lingula sp.

2.   I scraped and blasted and found nothing to identify mystery tube as anything more than pyritized burrow. Layers in tube makes it look like it was hollow then filled.

layer.jpg

@ischua definitely not a crinoid. Looks like a burrow that was filled in. Amazing finds! I love that nice trilobite found at the top left in your initial post.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Archived