Anyone ever seen one of these before?

AlbertaWanderer

Unfortunately, with the pictures, there is only so much we can do, or suggest. 

Best to take it somewhere and have it handled by a professional. 

Bottom line for me is weird object, not necessarily fossil. :headscratch:

Please let us know the outcome. We would love to be wrong, and learn something new.  :)  

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim is right,of course.

It might be an age old leather traveling bag,for all we know.

It might be a (former)peat bog fossil. 

I advise people with a sensitive disposition NOT to google that,because a lot of peat bog fossils are human

FossilC/N ratios might give a clue.

As it is, the "fossil" is contaminated/compromised biochemically and taphonomically

• I found this Informative 1

I will keep posted.I just talked to a curator at the Royal Alberta Museum. Sent him pics. Should hear back soon. 

I would LOVE to be rite and learn something new ,)

2 hours ago, AlbertaWanderer said:

I took some of the black (I assumed) skin. And ground it up as well and put it in vinegar. Very different reaction from the eggshell. Not fizzing nearly as intense like. I still believe that this is indeed skin. The specimens shell and the "skin" are reacting but the individual pieces are heavy. So they raise to the surface with the gasses and drop  back down when the bubbles hit the surface. Not like the. Chicken eggshell that is more permeable and softer so it weighs less and is held aloft by the gasses quickly escaping from the shell. I expect it Wil break down much quicker than the other samples. When you tap the table The more intact samples of the dino eggshell release gasses trapped under the pieces. 

1478796376182-2004811266.jpg

Take a piece of your black "skin" und try if it burns. I bet it will.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

And please, i asked you to try vinegar, but not in that proportion, it is an acid and destroys all what contains calcium, whatever it is. I still believe it could be a worn nodule, but it might also be something very modern on its way to fossilization. Non the less, it is an enigma and i am glad you've sent pics of it to a museum for analysis.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Uh. Ok.And what are you trying.to get out of this. Most organic matter burn. And the black "skin" is not rock. So I imagine it will burn as well. So how much of the specimen do i waste with this experiment. Do I smell it? If it smells like flowers then it's pickled ? Your trying to say it's plastic ? It's not. But good guess I thought so,when I found it too. 

The vinegar is in "very small" glass viles. And very small samples were used.

Tell me it there a specific burnt flesh smell I'm looking for here ?  I have an appointment at the Royal Alberta Museum next Wednesday. I'll let you all know what they say. 

No, i would rather say a classic leather burnt smell. But if you have an appointment at the museum, it would be better to wait before doing this.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Well you could try the "nasty" test;  If the dog just has to roll in it, wash your hands and toss it out.

14 hours ago, AlbertaWanderer said:

Oh my God. It does smell like old burning leather. ! HA! Thanks man. 

So oilshale was right - no fossil! Organic matter is gone within a couple of thousand years.

Yea, sorry man. Good guess tho, Edmonton does have oilshale all over. But alas. Nope. I am not so incredibly stupid that I believe a piece of oilshale is Dino epidermis. Thanks tho, now that I know it's just oilshale, I'll just throw it out ,) 

5 minutes ago, AlbertaWanderer said:

Yea, sorry man. Good guess tho, Edmonton does have oilshale all over. But alas. Nope. I am not so incredibly stupid that I believe a piece of oilshale is Dino epidermis. Thanks tho, now that I know it's just oilshale, I'll just throw it out ,) 

Andrew, let's please continue to keep the discussion polite.  The reference was to our member "oilshale" that commented above, not oilshale rocks in your area.  Thanks.  ;)

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

"Rubbery" is an adjective seldom found in the annals of paleontology.

The comedian George Carlin said he liked to make up sentences that nobody in history could have used. He said such unused uses of words was like trending on undiscovered ground, so he would be like an explorer. One of his favorite sentences that he said would find very little use is "Hand me that piano!".

So... a similar underutilized sentence is "My fossils are rubbery.".

how about a simple handheld loupe,peeps?

10 x magnification might show something,or it might not

nick a piece off it, subject it to elemental mapping ,some form of mass spectroscopy,biomarker analyis,let's do some proteome sequencing,let's taste a bit of it,

maybe the cat will eat it,i think it's from aldebaran IV,and John Carpenter made a movie out of it.

In short..

like johnJ said

Keep it non-ironic

Could it possibly be a fungus like a giant puffball that was in the process of decaying before dry weather allowed it to dry out?

Let's wait for Wednesday.

In memory of Doren

4 minutes ago, Mona said:

Alberta wanderer, are there any news, answers from the museum? 

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been on since November 11th, and indicated that he was going to dispose of the item, as it wasn't fossilized. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been on since November 11th, and indicated that he was going to dispose of the item, as it wasn't fossilized. 

Regards, 

Thanks for reply,

Greetings

I am not a native english speaker and lot of stuff I can't understand well, but I can feel some tension on this topic that is completly unnecessary. All of us are curious and united in love for fossils and answering on various questions about palaeontology.

I am folowing this topic because I think the thing AlbertaWanderer found is something biological, maybe even something never found before, who knows. And I am hoping I am right, because it will be nice and beautiful to learn something new. Also, I am sure that I'm not the only one who has that opinion.

Again, sorry for my english.

It would be beautiful to hear what did people in the museum said, even if it is not a fossil.

Greetings,

Mona

• I found this Informative 2

Unfortunately, the original poster didn't agree with the answers that were offered and chose (via email message) to deactivate his account.  We have honored his request, but I see this is a lost opportunity for all of us to learn something new.  :mellow: 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ