White River Formation ID

Nimravis

Hi- Looking to confirm the ID that I have on a partial lower left jaw of a mammal that I collected years ago in the White River Formation of Converse County, Wyoming. I have the jaw ID'd as "Stibarus", just looking for confirmation. The scale of the pics are 1 CM squares.

Thanks

Stibarus 1.jpgStibarus 2.jpgStibarus 3.jpgStibarus.jpg

Nice mandible section!  I don't personally have any Stibarus specimens in my White River badlands material but the occlusal pattern does look like what one would expect from a leptochoerid.  Stibarus sp. seems like a reasonable I.D. to me!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I am not hugely familiar with Stibarus, but this could be one.  It is quite rare.  Did you collect this with Kent?

Yes- years ago.

8 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Yes- years ago.

If he called it a Stibarus, i would go with that.  We have one at work.  I can go look at it if I think of it by the time I get there.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

If he called it a Stibarus, i would go with that.  We have one at work.  I can go look at it if I think of it by the time I get there.  

If you remember that would be great - if not Kent, it was one of the 2 people that were with him. 

I went to look at the Stibarus we have here at the Tate Museum.  The lower jaw is fairly tight up against the upper jaw, so the occlusal surface is tough to see, and the teeth are not worn so even more difficult o compare to yours.  But I will say that I think yours is a Stibarus.   

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I went to look at the Stibarus we have here at the Tate Museum.  The lower jaw is fairly tight up against the upper jaw, so the occlusal surface is tough to see, and the teeth are not worn so even more difficult o compare to yours.  But I will say that I think yours is a Stibarus.   

Thanks for checking on this and getting back with me.

Attached are figures of the type species:  Stibarus obtusilobus 

IMG1.jpg

Scott, W.B., & Jepsen, G.L. (1940)

The mammalian fauna of the White River Oligocene. Part 4: Artiodactyla.

Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, 28(4):363-746

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Excerpt from reference

1383928690_1.jpg1383928690_2.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

First of all, it's great to see people talk about leptochoerids.  It's not a group you hear about unless you hang out with people who have done a lot of collecting in the Oligocene badlands of South Dakota, Wyoiming,, or Nebraska.  I'll try to get a friend to take a look.  He identified an oddball jaw section I found at a show as a leptochoerid.  Like JPC said, he told me they were very rare.

Abyss:great great reference!!

Scott ,ditto.Am i right in assuming that one is paywalled?

Let me chip in with this one.

Might be in Fruitbat's  Lib.also,in which case Joe deserves all credit

report.pdf