Is this a fossil or just a rock?

SaharaBound

That was I was thinking was sure but I just wants to make sure, thanks for the info guys and I'll keep in searching I'll be living in the desert these next 10 months haha

Don't go too much dessicated by your searchs in the desert, or you'll quicly become a fossil yourself.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Interesting...I've stared at this a couple times and its not helping me decide if I agree with it being sandstone or not...I suppose it could be some type that has rounded grains but I'm wondering/leaning a different direction ...the texture (in cross section it appears to have a layering of some type along with a porous look to it. seems similar to some bone and turtle material. The curvature makes me suspicious as well. Here's a blowup of your specimen's texture and similar views of a piece of large turtle I have.   ...might be interesting to look at it under magnification to see what the round/spherical grains/objects are---rounded sand grains, oolites, etc. 

Regards, Chris 

unknown.jpg

Turtle shell textures.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I see the resemblance between the two pieces.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg