The Amateur Paleontologist

Dear all,

As I said long ago, this year I might be going to Canada. However, most of the time will be spent in Alberta for a dinosaur dig with Prof. Philip Currie. This basically washes away my plans of going to Vancouver Island and find heteromorphs on the Comox Valley. So, as I would still like to find some heteromorph ammonites, I was wondering whether there would be any heteromorph ammonite sites in the vicinity of Dinosaur Provincial Park (of preference less than 2 hours away, by car).

Thanks for any help,

Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I know there are Scaphites in North West Alberta. I am sure the people you meet will have lots of information about sites in Alberta.

Cephalopods rule!!

There might be late Cretaceous marine deposits in the area, but you should look into the laws of fossil collecting in Alberta.  They are more restrictive than the rest of Canada.  

Baculites are heteromorphic ammonites (though for some reason people don't think of them that way, or even as ammonites much it seems), and there may be places to find them in the Bearpaw Formation in the area.  It is, of course, illegal to remove any fossil (vertebrate or invertebrate) from the province without the proper permits, which I have never heard of anyone being able to get.

Don

Is there any way in which I could get a permit to remove fossils?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived