Toronto Lawrence ravine (fossil) rock

Antonasaurus

image.jpgI was walking in a ravine on Lawrence and Bayview in Toronto, and I saw this round stone with a crack. I decided to open up the rock, and saw this black form. Judging by the colour, I suspect that this could be from the Cambrian period. Any ideas for what this could be? (the Canadian 5 cents is the same size as the American one)

While I can't suggest what your fossil (?) is, it would be from the ordovician, not cambrian. Colour has nothing to do with the age of a fossil, that is strictly from the surrounding sediment. Can you post a closer, brighter pic of your mystery object

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Black shales are certainly NOT confined to the Cambrian as Nsharks said.

Poriferan,arthropod cuticle?Perhaps not even biogenic?

Very hard to tell

Nothing about the black feature suggests any kind of structure, symmetry, or organization that would be expected if it had a biological origin.  It seems to be just a mineral stain along a cleavage plane (indicated by the last, blurry photo) as is common in sedimentary rocks.  Also there is no Cambrian exposed anywhere in or near Toronto, where the bedrock is all Upper Ordovician.  As has been commented on already, color is no indication of the age of anything, except maybe my formerly white T-shirts.

Don

Archived