ID Help: Fossil Fish

Max-fossils

Hello everyone!

I need your help again...

Around a year ago, my sister bought this small fossil fish for me, as she knows I'm a fan of fossils. She bought it at a stand at an event she went to; and the seller had no idea of the age/location or species of the fossil. All that he knew was that it was a fish. (Which it evidently is...)

My best guess is that it comes from Nova Olinda, Araripe, East Brazil (therefore dating from the Early Cretaceous, 120 mya), as the fossil style looks a lot like my Dastilbe elongatus (last photo).

Any ideas? All help is appreciated!

Thanks again,

Max

FullSizeRender (16).jpg

IMG_7127.JPG

IMG_7129.JPG

DSC_0105 (2).JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Definitely a Dastilbe sp.but I am not sure enough about the different species to guess any further. 

Could be a D. crandalli, or D elongatus.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Definitely a Dastilbe sp.but I am not sure enough about the different species to guess any further. 

Could be a D. crandalli, or D elongatus.

Regards,

Thanks for your help! 

So you think its also a Dastilbe? That would surprise me, because the anatomy of the first fish and the second one is quite different: the head of the first one is a lot more triangular than the second one, and the tail looks different too.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

4 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks for your help! 

So you think its also a Dastilbe? That would surprise me, because the anatomy of the first fish and the second one is quite different: the head of the first one is a lot more triangular than the second one, and the tail looks different too.

Best regards,

Max

This could be attributed to the position of the fish during preservation - could be dorsally or ventrally compressed, rather than laterally.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

This could be attributed to the position of the fish during preservation - could be dorsally or ventrally compressed. ;) 

Good point. Thanks a lot for your help!

Max

Max Derème

As Tim stated, I believe these are the same fish, just compressed from different angles.

Your first picture looks like a dorsal compression.

Very nice fish, I like the ones compressed dorsally!

Here is one of mine from the Green River Formation in Wyoming. It is Eocene, about 50myo, so MUCH younger!

DSCN4384.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/13/2016 at 0:12 AM, FossilDudeCO said:

As Tim stated, I believe these are the same fish, just compressed from different angles.

Your first picture looks like a dorsal compression.

Very nice fish, I like the ones compressed dorsally!

Here is one of mine from the Green River Formation in Wyoming. It is Eocene, about 50myo, so MUCH younger!

DSCN4384.JPG

Ok, thanks for the info!

And even though mine is older, I do think yours is better because the preservation is a lot better, and it's bigger... Age isn't something you can see with the eye.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème