Septarian Nodule...I think

MsLine

Hello, first time here.  I've been looking around trying to identify this fossil, and it seems that is a septarian nodule, or concretion, or both?  I don't know much about fossils, so any information anyone could share would be much appreciated.  It is about 2.5-3" across and about 1" thick.  It's pretty heavy for its size.  It looks like yellowish limestone, but harder, and the veins are gray. Found in Meridian, TX.

Would it be worthwhile to have it polished, or just keep as an unusual object?  It's pretty small. We do like it :) 

File Nov 13, 2 48 57 PM.jpeg

File Nov 13, 3 15 01 PM.jpeg

File Nov 13, 3 18 13 PM.jpeg

It does look like a septarian nodule. It is usually the insides of these things that have the most interesting structures.

It may be a "dud", but if You do not cut it in half You will never know.

As for polishing- it would do nothing to improve the outward appearance of the piece. (Most are cut in half and the cut surfaces are then polished)

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with Tony. Cutting it in half and then sanding and polishing the two halves could make for an interesting result. There is however the possibility by the looks of that one that it may break into pieces in the process, so use a thin diamond blade on a machine that doesn't cause much vibration.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is a nice septarian nodule/concretion, I agree.

Welcome to the Forum ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 6 years later...

Hi,

Don't know if your still on here.  Did you cut it open.  Or find out anything else about it.  I found this in Michigan Not sure if I being sent down a rabbit hole as to what it is.  When I did the image match your post showed up.  So I just asking.

Thank-you,

Rocksinmesocks

1584668538_20231012_002039(1).jpg