Old finds from the Verulam formation that I "re-found"

Shamalama

So these fossils are not from a recent trip but from two prior trips in the last year to the Verulam formation near Brechin, Ont. (middle Ordovician, Katian/Mohawkian stage).  I was cleaning and sorting some boxes when I re-found them (most still in their paper wrapping). 

Loose Brachiopods - clockwise from top:  Dalmanella testudinaria, Rafinesquina alternata, Sowerbyella sericea, Rynchotrema increbescens

Brachs - Rynchotrema increbescens, Dalmanella testudinaria, Rafinesquina alternata, Sowerbyella sericea.jpg

A hash plate with many Dalmanella testudinaria brachs among the debris

Brach plate - Dalmanella testudinaria.jpg

Unknown Bryozoan but it was big and cool looking so I kept it.

Bryo1.jpg

Stictoporellina sp. bryozoan

Bryo - Stictoporellina sp.jpg

The graptolite Diplograptus amplexicaulis

Graptolite - Diplograptus amplexicaulis.jpg

A couple of Conularia trentonensis that Kevin @Northern Sharks found and gave me.

Conularia trentonensis1.jpg

Conularia trentonensis2.jpg

A nice big, intact mound forming bryozoan that is either Prasopora sp. or Mesotrypa sp.

Prasopora or Mesotrypa1.jpg

A plate with a few large mound forming bryozoans that are either Prasopora sp. or Mesotrypa sp.

Prasopora or Mesotrypa2.jpg

Possibly a Sphenothallus sp. specimen?

Sphenothallus.jpg

Partial Trilobite

Trilo.jpg

A small but nice Flexicalymene sp. specimen

Flexicalymene.jpg

A Cruziana specimen that @Northern Sharks spotted and let me extract

Cruziana.jpg

I think this is a crinoid calyx, possibly an Ectenocrinus?

Crinoid - Ectenocrinus.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I thought some of those looked familiar when I saw them on FB. That Flexi should be a beauty once prepared

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

It is always fun to look through stuff from some time ago - always find something I missed, or forgot about. :)

Thanks for the post, Dave - Wonderful finds. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely from the Verulam, I gave a very nice conularid to someone up visiting from Buffalo the other weekend.

Very nice finds, Dave. Congratulations. I especially like the bryozoans and the conularids. You must have found tons of other good stuff to forget about this really exquisite material.

14 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Very nice finds, Dave. Congratulations. I especially like the bryozoans and the conularids. You must have found tons of other good stuff to forget about this really exquisite material.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Jeff, It really was just a case where I set the flat down under a table and then it got forgotten and covered by some empty flats and boxes. I probably was moving stuff around and it just got missed. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey Dave, just getting around to looking at what others have been digging up. Oh man, Very nice finds! That graptolite is pretty sweet...dont get to see many of them on the forum here. congrats!

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
I cant spell worth a dang sometimes and mistype constantly..lol