pterosaur tooth ?

belemniten

Yesterday i had time to hunt in Holzmaden. 

Some may realize that i posted this: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/69842-last-hunt-in-holzmaden-for-this-year/#comment-732544

Now this is my real last hunt in the quarry  Kromer in Holzmaden (Lower Jurassic) ... :)

I worked hard about 3 hours, but i cant find much and the material there doesnt look good. 

So i only find this item:

DSCN1853.JPG

This tooth looks very special ...

Its 0.7 cm long (after prep 1 cm long), so it was difficult to photograph the tooth.

It looks very similar to this one or ? http://www.holzmadenfossilien.de/inhalte fossilien/Flugsaurierzahn_001.html

DSCN1880.JPG

Hope somebody can help me ...

Thanks ! :D

• Enjoyed 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I don't know much about those teeth, but in my opinion it looks more like a plesiosaur, or even a short nothosaur tooth. 

Many people will know better than me, so let's wait for them to respond.;)

Best regards and amazing find by the way!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

I don't know much about those teeth, but in my opinion it looks more like a plesiosaur, or even a short nothosaur tooth. 

Many people will know better than me, so let's wait for them to respond.;)

Best regards and amazing find by the way!

Max

Hi and thanks for your help ! :)

I think Plesiosaur is a very good alternative (nothosaur shouldnt be found there ...) !

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Can not help with the id, but that is a nice find!

Tony

Thanks Tony ! 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

18 hours ago, Archie said:

I cant help with ID either but that tooth is really nice! Great prep job too,

Sam

Thanks for the compliment Sam !

So nobody can help me with ID ??? :o

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

One of the issues with pterosaur teeth is that we have do not know  the diversity of these reptiles. We dont know if there were several thousand species alive at a given time or just a few.  The odds of any type of preservation is small. 

In our Cretaceous deposits we can come across a weird tooth and know it isnt from a known pterosaur but cant always rule out it isnt from an unknown pterosaur. 

Your tooth is similar to a plesiosaur but...?  It likely is plesiosaur but we can fall  into a pattern of classifying a fossil according to what is previousky reported at a location...this becomes self fulfilling.  Its always good to research the original publication that described the fauna from a site  and decide how accurate it is.  

• I found this Informative 2

23 hours ago, belemniten said:

Hi and thanks for your help ! :)

I think Plesiosaur is a very good alternative (nothosaur shouldnt be found there ...) !

I'm happy I could help!

Indeed, nothosaurs died out at the end of the Triassic, and weren't alive during the Jurassic. Sorry for that mistake:P

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Easy to ask, hard to answer.

It is difficult or almost impossible to determine an isolated tooth embedded in matrix and assigning it to a family/genus/species without seeing it entirely, knowing its dimensions and shape, exact stratigraphical settings, etc.
What is vissible in the pictures of the specimen in question looks to be a crown of a tooth with the root possibly embedded in the matrix, or not. We don't know its length, wide, and shape exactly. Looks to be gracile, elongated, slightly curved with longitudinal striations on the enamel. In this condition, don't looks to me a Pterosaur or Ichthyosaur tooth, but I could see some resemblance with a Thalattosuchia, also for the other specimen linked to the first post of this topic.

dents_4.jpg Ichthyosaur (Platypterygius) tooth found in Albian sediments in the UK (bar = 1 cm).

http://www2.cnrs.fr/en/1743.htm

Nice find, belemniten, as always.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Canadawest said:

One of the issues with pterosaur teeth is that we have do not know  the diversity of these reptiles. We dont know if there were several thousand species alive at a given time or just a few.  The odds of any type of preservation is small. 

In our Cretaceous deposits we can come across a weird tooth and know it isnt from a known pterosaur but cant always rule out it isnt from an unknown pterosaur. 

Your tooth is similar to a plesiosaur but...?  It likely is plesiosaur but we can fall  into a pattern of classifying a fossil according to what is previousky reported at a location...this becomes self fulfilling.  Its always good to research the original publication that described the fauna from a site  and decide how accurate it is.  

Thanks for your response and your help ! 

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Max-fossils said:

I'm happy I could help!

Indeed, nothosaurs died out at the end of the Triassic, and weren't alive during the Jurassic. Sorry for that mistake:P

Best regards,

Max

No need to apologize ....

Your help was very helpful ! Thanks ! :)

18 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Easy to ask, hard to answer.

It is difficult or almost impossible to determine an isolated tooth embedded in matrix and assigning it to a family/genus/species without seeing it entirely, knowing its dimensions and shape, exact stratigraphical settings, etc.
What is vissible in the pictures of the specimen in question looks to be a crown of a tooth with the root possibly embedded in the matrix, or not. We don't know its length, wide, and shape exactly. Looks to be gracile, elongated, slightly curved with longitudinal striations on the enamel. In this condition, don't looks to me a Pterosaur or Ichthyosaur tooth, but I could see some resemblance with a Thalattosuchia, also for the other specimen linked to the first post of this topic.

Thanks so much ! Also for the compliment :)

I will sort it as Plesiosaur ....

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

As said above, it is hard to ID it from a single tooth if no other similar, well-known teeth are already found.

I can't say for sure if it's Pterosaur or not, but the striations/ridges running along the crown reminds me of plesiosaur teeth from Stary-Oskol, Russia. Pictured below are 2 different specimens.

plesiosaur-tooth-albian-russia-[3]-3520-p.jpg

plesiosaur-tooth-russia-[2]-81-p.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

17 hours ago, -Andy- said:

As said above, it is hard to ID it from a single tooth if no other similar, well-known teeth are already found.

I can't say for sure if it's Pterosaur or not, but the striations/ridges running along the crown reminds me of plesiosaur teeth from Stary-Oskol, Russia. Pictured below are 2 different specimens.

Thanks for the confirmation andy ! 

Btw Nice specimen !

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

5 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thanks for the confirmation andy ! 

Btw Nice specimen !

You are welcome. Neither of these lovely specimens are mine haha.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post, but am intrigued by the fact that this might actually be a plesiosaur tooth from the Posidonia Shale. The slender shape would certainly fit plesiosaur. However, I find it very hard to read the striations. And it's mainly based on that that I would classify the tooth as either teleosaurian or otherwise. From what I've seen posted elsewhere on this forum, though, it doesn't look like pterosaur to me:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

15 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I know this is an old post, but am intrigued by the fact that this might actually be a plesiosaur tooth from the Posidonia Shale. The slender shape would certainly fit plesiosaur. However, I find it very hard to read the striations. And it's mainly based on that that I would classify the tooth as either teleosaurian or otherwise. From what I've seen posted elsewhere on this forum, though, it doesn't look like pterosaur to me.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I cant find the tooth at the moment (I just looked briefly). Got too many teeth ;)

If I find it I will post some better pictures but in my eyes it looks like a crocodile tooth. Sadly I still dont have any Plesiosaur teeth from that location in my collection but I have seen a few and they look quite different. And you are right, its of course not a pterosaur tooth.

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

9 hours ago, belemniten said:

Hi, thanks for the response.

I cant find the tooth at the moment (I just looked briefly). Got too many teeth ;)

If I find it I will post some better pictures but in my eyes it looks like a crocodile tooth. Sadly I still dont have any Plesiosaur teeth from that location in my collection but I have seen a few and they look quite different. And you are right, its of course not a pterosaur tooth.

Yeah, that's what I suspect too, that it'd be teleosaurian. Thing is I haven't seen any plesiosaur teeth from the Posidonia Shale yet, though once picked up a tooth that was being sold as such. Of course, when I got it, it turned out to be a Steneosaurus. But as the ornamentation was so light and worn down, in can easily see how the person who sold it to me might have considered it something else than thalattosuchian. Just thought that may be that could be the case here too, but it seems you've come to the same conclusion as well ;)

Anyway, would love to see any reference materials you might have on plesiosaur teeth from the Posidonia Shale, if you have any and are free to share. I'm really curious as to what they look like and how they compare to British specimens I'm more familiar with :look:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett