Fun stuff - Yorktown Formation - pliocene?

VirginiaWilderness

Your fossils are quite beautiful! I remember taking a trip when I was much younger to a phosphate pit in Florida. There were shells very similar to yours littering the ground, and mixed in with them were shark and crocodile teeth and a whole host of miscellaneous bones. It was perhaps one of my favorite fossil trips I've been on. My expertise does not lie anywhere near the vicinity of the Pliocine, but do be on the lookout for vertebrate material!

Thanks for sharing!

I like crinoids......

Love the fossils. Tell me about how you have them displayed. I have been tinkering with some artificial water and fossils with the intent of putting a display together for a local park this winter.

Yeah, nice. Looks like what we find here in Florida, and some of the species are likely the same.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/invertpaleo/galleries.htm

The folks that live on the property put the fossils everywhere... All over the inside of the house and their garden. The lady there has started making little turtle sculptures out of oyster shells. lol

The ones I've collected I haven't done anything with so far. I found one shark tooth and I'm hoping to find more though. If anyone can identify anything they see in my pictures (click the link to see the full album), please let me know!

Cool material!  Definitely Zone 2 Yorktown either Rushmere or Moorhouse Member.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 11/15/2016 at 5:06 PM, MikeR said:

Cool material!  Definitely Zone 2 Yorktown either Rushmere or Moorhouse Member.

Nice Finds VirginiaWilderness! Looks similar to stuff from down here...

Hey Mike, so I keep seeing Yorktown references and the similarities to the Sarasota material and wanted to ask if this chart is still pretty current with respect to Yorktown and Tamiami ages? I suspect you may have mentioned it one of your blogs/refs and should have read it but I just accidentally stumbled across it and started to read about the big picture in the Pliocene again....If I could just remember 0.01% of what Ive read or someone has told me to read I might be worth a dang...

Pliocene climate and seasonality in North Atlantic shelf seas

Mark Williams, Alan M Haywood, Elizabeth M Harper, Andrew L.A Johnson, Tanya Knowles, Melanie J Leng, Daniel J Lunt, Beth Okamura, Paul D Taylor, Jan Zalasiewicz

Published 13 January 2009.

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/367/1886/85

F1.large.jpg

F2.large.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It is fairly accurate although some paleontologists might have different views on the ages of some of the units.  For instance, where to place the Caloosahatchee equivalent James City and Wacamaw Formations in this chart.  I would need to go back and read the paper but I am assuming that only part of the Caloosahatchee is in the Gelasian with the remainder along with Wacamaw and JC in the Calabrian and Bermont Formation in the Middle Pleistocene.  The main change is that the Pliocene boundary was placed a couple of years ago to 2.58 mya putting those units in the Gelasian as Lower Pleistocene.  Here is a link to the latest ICS chart LINK.

Mike

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Those are some amazing finds!!! I really like pectens... 

And is that a Busycon on the trunk completely to the right?

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

12 hours ago, MikeR said:

It is fairly accurate although some paleontologists might have different views on the ages of some of the units.  For instance, where to place the Caloosahatchee equivalent James City and Wacamaw Formations in this chart.  I would need to go back and read the paper but I am assuming that only part of the Caloosahatchee is in the Gelasian with the remainder along with Wacamaw and JC in the Calabrian and Bermont Formation in the Middle Pleistocene.  The main change is that the Pliocene boundary was placed a couple of years ago to 2.58 mya putting those units in the Gelasian as Lower Pleistocene.  Here is a link to the latest ICS chart LINK.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I wasnt even aware of that of that chart...I think I've always used the GSA's version. I've been out of the loop I guess for years...thanks again.  Regards, Chris 

20 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Those are some amazing finds!!! I really like pectens... 

And is that a Busycon on the trunk completely to the right?

Best regards,

Max

Carolinapecten eboreus and Busycon maximum

Just now, MikeR said:

Carolinapecten eboreus and Busycon maximum

Ok, thank you!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

11 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks Mike! I wasnt even aware of that of that chart...I think I've always used the GSA's version. I've been out of the loop I guess for years...thanks again.  Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris for sharing that paper.  I thought it might have been a publication that I referenced before but it is not and is relatively recent (2009).  It is a nice review of the US and English Pliocene.

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

Thanks Chris for sharing that paper.  I thought it might have been a publication that I referenced before but it is not and is relatively recent (2009).  It is a nice review of the US and English Pliocene.

Mike

Good deal! thanks