Help to identify fossil group

Stan Simpson

I know its very difficult to identify the animals these bones may have come from but any help to specify the animals will be very appreciated. They all come from a dredging operation near Houston.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope to have a fresh group of pieces in the next week or so.

I will be glad to add more photos if it would be helpful.

MVC-546F.JPG

MVC-547F.JPG

MVC-548F.JPG

MVC-549F.JPG

MVC-551F.JPG

MVC-552F.JPG

MVC-553F.JPG

The specimen on the right in Photo 3 is likely an Equus  (horse) toe bone (Phalanx I).

The specimen on the left in Photo 4 appears to be a Phalanx I from an artiodactyl (possily a bison or a camelid) but I would like to see a better picture of the other surface before I say anything that might be considered definitive.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I agree with Joe. They are first phalanges of Equus. The size variability is not a problem.

Phalanges.jpgText_Phalanges.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Photo 3, as Fruitbat noted, horse (Equus) first phalanx on the right. Photo 4, horse on the left and small artiodactyl distal metapodial on the right. Photo 6, probably the proximal end of an artiodactyl metapodial, but need an end view to be sure.

I'm afraid I may not be much of a help without being able to handle them. You may have a somewhat battered proximal end of a horse cannonbone and a fragment of the distal end of a horse tibia--or, sadly, you may not. So, put a big question mark and see if you can find someone with a disarticulated horse skeleton for direct comparison. No question though on the horse first phalanges.