Another Famous Holotype

Synechodus

A few years ago I was in Berlin for business and grabbed the opportunity to go and see the Archaeopteryx-holotype in the local Natural History Museum.

Another famous holotype on my "must see"-list has always been the Mosasaurus-holotype, not in the least because that particular specimen has been found only some 10 miles from my home, in Cretaceous outcrops along the river Meuse (Hence Mosasaurus after the Latin name for the river: Mosa). Needless to say this specimen frequented my boyhood fantasies about fossil hunting.

There was a snag though.

Though found in the Netherlands late in the 18th century; during their occupation of Maastricht, the French took the specimen to Paris where it was declared a "national heritage". The significance of this specific holotype lies in particular with the fact that this specimen contributed significantly to G. Cuvier's first speculations on the possibility of animal species going extinct. An idea that paved the way for his theory of catastrophism or "consecutive creations", one of the predecessors of the evolution theory.

For more reading on this holotype, the myths and facts around the seizure by the French and its overall significance: check here

2009 being the Darwin year and with careful diplomacy of the Honorary Consul of France in Maastricht, the French have agreed to a temporary loan of this holotype to the NHM in Maastricht, where it now resides for a short while as the centerpiece in the exhibition “Darwin, Cuvier et le Grand Animal de Maestricht”, a mere 4-5 miles from the place where it was found originally…..

Needless to say I went to see this skull that featured so many times in my boyhood fantasies...

post-456-1244704072_thumb.jpg post-456-1244704087_thumb.jpg post-456-1244704112_thumb.jpg

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

That is quite interesting. I never gave it any thought, but neat to know where 'Mosa' comes from now.

RB

I didn't know any of that. It's an incredible skull.

Maybe it will return home one day.

Do you hunt that river often? You may find one...

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for supplying that bit of History... :D

Be true to the reality you create.

One of the ones that started it all!

The other bookend is Archaeopteryx, which pretty much sealed the main trunk of evolutionary thinking (all debate since is about the details). Lucky you to have seen them both in person!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

One of the ones that started it all!

The other bookend is Archaeopteryx, which pretty much sealed the main trunk of evolutionary thinking (all debate since is about the details). Lucky you to have seen them both in person!

Stunning fossil and preperation!

I didn't know any of that. It's an incredible skull.

Maybe it will return home one day.

Do you hunt that river often? You may find one...

I hunt there a lot, but not the river: that is all gravel of mainly Paleogene and Neogene origin. The Cretaceous outcrops are in the surrounding hills where there are a dozen or so quarries, some big. some small, some still in use some abandonned.

As to finding a mosasur myself, well..... this one......

post-456-1244802414_thumb.jpg

..... was found in 1998 by a fellow member of the regional fossil club and about half a year ago some friends found 30-odd associated verts ..... so yes, maybe one day .... ;)

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Nice to see a recent photo. I'm used to seeing it like this.

post-40-1244809098_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the photos and the story. I remember reading about that hoffmanni skull in "The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs" (Desmond, 1975) when I was a teenager. It's one of those great stories connecting science and history.

Guest gloryforixseal

Hey ho

Another mysteries site...like it...

Just a quick post to say Hey to you all....good to see fellow Umers....and now GMers lol ......I may as well make a Hellow thread...I never did it before on other forums lol

waves