Max-fossils

Hello fossil-hunters!

My most recent fossil hunt was rather successful! I went to the Zandmotor, in the Netherlands, which is known for its abundance of: fossil seashells, big Ice Age mammal bones, fish material and more Pleistocene fossils. Here are the things I found: 1) All the black/brown things on the top are bones/bone shards from big Pleistocene mammals such as the mammoth, the cave lion, the cave hyena, the Irish Elk, the woolly rhino, the bison, etc. - 2) The big white shells on the right are Acanthocardia tuberculata - 3) The smaller shells next to them are Mactra plistoneerlandica (clams) - 4) Next to the Mactra we have some Cerasroderma edule (cockles) - 5) Underneath those are some Macoma balthica - 6) The big grey things to the left are Ostrea edulis (oysters) - 7) The "tooth" underneath the oysters is actually a crab pincer - 8) Next to it we have a small piece of mammoth ivory - 9) All the small black things at the bottom are fish vertebrates - 10) And finally the small black thing above the fish verts is a partial fish jaw with one tooth! 
In the close-ups we have: 1) The partial fish jaw with the small tooth - 2) The fish verts - 3) The crab pincer - 4) A big piece of bone, maybe a partial femur of a rhino, bison or mammoth - 5) A small piece of mammoth ivory.
Some of these fossils were given to me by a really nice young man named Rick, that I met that day on the beach. Rick was searching for fossils just like me, and he gave me some tips for the hunt, and have me many cool fossils!

Some of you might notice this is the same post as on my Instagram account @world_of_fossils.

What do you think?

Best regards to all,

Max

IMG_7180.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_7182.JPG

IMG_7173.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

Max Derème

FullSizeRender (17).jpg

Max Derème

Great finds !

Maybe i can hunt there next year ... this year i didnt had the time for a visit.

Your finds are a good advertisement :)

One question ... you didnt find any shark teeth ?

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 minute ago, belemniten said:

Great finds !

Maybe i can hunt there next year ... this year i didnt had the time for a visit.

Your finds are a good advertisement :)

One question ... you didnt find any shark teeth ?

Thanks! I'm happy I could advertise the fossil site ^_^, it's truly an amazing site, even for people with no interest in fossils (there are tons of people walking their dogs there:P)

But, no, I didn't find any shark teeth. As far as I know, there aren't any marine remains on the Zandmotor except for fossil seashells. The fish verts are from freshwater fish that lived in rivers and lakes. During the Ice Age, the North Sea was covered in plains with small bushes, and had the typical Ice Age fauna such as mammoths, woolly rhinos, cave lions, etc.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Vieira said:

Nice finds Max.

Looks like a fantastic place to fossil hunting :D.

Filipe

It's indeed a wonderful place to hunt...

But Sesimbra and Torres Vedras are also fascinating!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

9 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

It's indeed a wonderful place to hunt...

But Sesimbra and Torres Vedras are also fascinating!

Best regards,

Max

Yes Max, you right.

We have fantastic places to fossil hunting in our countries.

Best Regards

Filipe

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks! I'm happy I could advertise the fossil site ^_^, it's truly an amazing site, even for people with no interest in fossils (there are tons of people walking their dogs there:P)

But, no, I didn't find any shark teeth. As far as I know, there aren't any marine remains on the Zandmotor except for fossil seashells. The fish verts are from freshwater fish that lived in rivers and lakes. During the Ice Age, the North Sea was covered in plains with small bushes, and had the typical Ice Age fauna such as mammoths, woolly rhinos, cave lions, etc.

Best regards,

Max

Thanks ! Great too learn more about the location !

I also love those fish vertebra ... i found them also in Cadzand.

I think you know this site or ?

http://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=640&fotonr=5#foto

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

40 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Thanks ! Great too learn more about the location !

I also love those fish vertebra ... i found them also in Cadzand.

I think you know this site or ?

http://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=640&fotonr=5#foto

Fish verts are indeed also common in the Zeeuwse stranden, like Cadzand, Ritthem or Kaloot.

And yes, I do know fossiel.net , in fact I'm a member of it under the same username and with the same avatar. But i go mostly on the Dutch version, because there are more users and it's easier to get fossil info about dutch fossils there.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

Thanks for sharing!

Tony

Thank you^_^

Max Derème

Hey Max, nice finds. Good variety of things! That fish grinding tooth is great. We find a few of them separately here but not still in the jaw.

Seems like a spot where you might find a shark tooth...may not be common but could happen. Was on a fossil trip several weeks ago and near the very end of collecting in shell beds one of the members came across a very nice one very unexpectedly...he was really excited as we all were.

Congrats! Regards, Chris 

Just now, Plantguy said:

Hey Max, nice finds. Good variety of things! That fish grinding tooth is great. We find a few of them separately here but not still in the jaw.

Seems like a spot where you might find a shark tooth...may not be common but could happen. Was on a fossil trip several weeks ago and near the very end of collecting in shell beds one of the members came across a very nice one very unexpectedly...he was really excited as we all were.

Congrats! Regards, Chris 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the nice comment!

But the Zandmotor is not known for shark teeth, they're very rarely found there I think.

A great place in the Netherlands for shark teeth are the beaches of Zeeland (in the south-west of the country, namely Kaloot, Cadzand, etc.).

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

way to go Max!

Gaaf!!

Dank je wel!^_^

Max Derème

• 3 weeks later...

Zandmotor may not be known for shark teeth, but nice fossil Great White teeth can be found there and are not that uncommon. 

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, sjaak said:

Zandmotor may not be known for shark teeth, but nice fossil Great White teeth can be found there and are not that uncommon. 

I learnt the exact same thing yesterday evening; and had no clue this was true before. I also heard that the exact age of the teeth is rather mysterious, because the North Sea were just stepped during most of  the Pleistocene period. Plus, how the teeth got there is also a mystery. And the most surprising is that great whites are one of the only sharkteeth found there, while many other species aren't.

But next time that I will go to the Zandmotor, I'll surely try to find some! 

Best regards and thanks for notifying,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

19 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I learnt the exact same thing yesterday evening; and had no clue this was true before. I also heard that the exact age of the teeth is rather mysterious, because the North Sea were just stepped during most of  the Pleistocene period. Plus, how the teeth got there is also a mystery. And the most surprising is that great whites are one of the only sharkteeth found there, while many other species aren't.

But next time that I will go to the Zandmotor, I'll surely try to find some! 

Best regards and thanks for notifying,

Max

Good luck ! Cant wait too see them :D

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

40 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Good luck ! Cant wait too see them :D

Thanks, I'll surely post a few pictures of them once I found some

Max Derème