This is amazing! Is this manmade or fossil?

Jonelle

Holy moly guys. The saga of my historical yard continues... is this man made or a fossil? Had other great finds today, I think this one needs a post all of its own.

F6DCEA24-9638-4109-902E-C5E69B797D23.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The exterior markings are axial ribs while the interior ones could be representative of pallial lines, which are marks on the interior of bivalve shells where muscles were attached.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Joenlle said:

What are the markings? :) 

They look like the structure of the shell as it grew were defined by "growth lines".

Tony

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Bivalve growth increments are as a rule not visible macroscopically(=with the bare eye).Besides ,the ligament would not be the place for that,either.

I think these are manmade markings.

Thanks for that input. Very, very educational.

Very humbling too.

That's what you get from reading too much sclerochronology literature.

• Enjoyed 1

It's hard to tell if it is Arca zebra (the local extant species) or Arca wagenrina (an extinct local species). The transitition from one to the other was pretty gradual and there are many intermediate forms that are difficult to classify.

The existing species is common there and called Zebra ark or Turkey Wing ark shell. The "writing" on the back mystifies and alarms many people who see, it, and it looks like Ogham, the ancient writing of the Vikings or maybe something from outer space. A cryptic message from the mollusc that says "DON'T EAT ME!".

• I found this Informative 1

Spelling correct...

Backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace, ...

Correctotype, correctotype, correctotype, correctotype, correctotype, correctotype, ...

Arca wagneriana

carriage return

7 minutes ago, tmaier said:

The existing species is common there and called Zebra ark or Turkey Wing ark shell. The "writing" on the back mystifies and alarms many people who see, it, and it looks like Ogham, the ancient writing of the Vikings or maybe something from outer space. A cryptic message from the mollusc that says "DON'T EAT ME!".

Wow !

I've never seen an invertebrate operculum with ogham "letters" on it. Did the american natives had early relations with celtic irish people and knew how to translate the pelecypods language ?:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 11/17/2016 at 11:54 AM, Joenlle said:

Some more views :) thanks

3F23A44B-1132-478F-BC48-E78940C223B4.jpg

That's a very nice one, congratuations !:)

• I Agree 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

At first I thought it was some sort of Native symbol, like resembling a thunderbird... it's awesome, @tmaier I was also between zebra/wagneria... i keep looking back and forth I can't tell. 

• Enjoyed 1

There is the very definitive wagnerinia species form that has the tip of the "wing" flaring way out, and the lobe under that way in, and it is a thinner shell, and stretched out. Then in the definitive zebra species the two lobes of the wing are almost the same length, and the shell is more bulbous. Those are the two extremes that define the two species, but I find many that are "transitional", being a shell not quite solidly one or the other.

This is not common, and most of the time when you collect species you find that a species exists for a few million years as a very stable form, and then there is suddenly a new species with distinct new features. This phenomena is called "punctuated equilibrium" in the field of evolution study. The Arca zebra and his ancestor give a rare glimpse into a species that had a slow slide, rather than a punctuated jump.

Most fossil collectors have their ears prick up when the phrase "transitional specimen" is mentioned. They are not common.

• 6 years later...

Well this post is old but I think this is the same shell. I've been going through apparently old swamp dirt and finding lots of goodies. 

Kimber ❤ 

20230329_223356.png

20230329_222842.png

Since Kimber revived this post and I had not seen it before, I will add my Arca wagneriana. I too thought it contained old carvings until TFF corrected me.DSC_0817-004.thumb.JPG.32cca17005825b78f8a3c492f2fa4a12.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well I found this today in Palmetto ,Florida. It fell out of wall of Fossilized shells and

dirt they used for a bank wall. 

Such a cool design! 

Also I just noticed your has a fish design on the end. 

20230425_202133.jpg

20230425_202412.jpg

20230425_202250.jpg

20230425_202257.jpg

20230425_202403.jpg

• Enjoyed 3