Jonelle

Another find from my yard, this one in a pile of other fragments that look like bone, inhavent had a chance to wash them yet. I found a huge pile that was next to my shell mound "driveway" ;) there were also some crude looking points mixed in with the pile... wish an archeologist would pay attention to me already! It's about 15cm long.. that's a rough guess since the measurer keeps getting moved. 

10632E9E-25F8-4058-B94C-59E93B2C0C60.jpg

Yeah it looks like one to me. I really hope it's not human. This is what I've been dreading to find. Hopefully someone can ID this before I have to call it in. 

I've been trying to get a local archeologist out here because of some of the things I've found doubled with the historal significance of my location. I've been ignored and dreading finding anything even remotely resembling human remains. Please say it isn't so. 

I've walked nature and looked at stuff for more than a half century, all across this country, and never found a human bone. Came close once when I was doing volenteer work in archeology digs, but they chased us rookie volenteers back when they hit a grave.

Anyway, not likely a human bone. And it doesn't look very "fossil"... I'm thinking less than 100 years old. The end seems cut with a modern saw.

• I found this Informative 1

@tmaier ..that is comforting. I'm fairly certain I'm on either a dump/camp/ or burial site. Really hoping it's not that. I realize that a lot of things have been moved around in Florida, but not my live oak tree.. it is the key indicator to me that most of my other finds weren't just dumped here by developers ...it has several native carvings that I've looked up and some that are clear. A fish, a raindrop, some I can't make out, and markings that indicate a river is close by. A large site was actually just uncovered across the creek on the other side of 41. My property has not even been checked out as far as I can tell from the little information I can find online. The house was put here in the 1920s? Not a lot of properties like this remain in Sarasota... don't know why they wouldn't take my invite. I've barely even scratched the surface. That's actually how I ended up finding this site because I've been researching all of the things I've found. I haven't even posted the things I believe could be artifacts because any other group I had asked in basically ridiculed me for even believing it was a possibility.   

There is an artifact area in this forum (scroll down the main page). Very few experts here, and I am not an expert, but I've been around enough.

A lot of acedemic archeologists are hesitant to get to involved because they think they might identify a valuable historical site on private land, and then have it pilaged for profit by collectors. Many acedemic people have had uncofrtable encounters with the general public.

Post a few things in the artifact area, I'd like to see them. I can't garentee that I will agree with you on what they are. But then... don't always take other people's points of view for certain.

You might be interested to borrow a metal detector from somebody and go over the property.

Thanks! I do have an acquaintance who is a recent graduate in archeology and he seemed to be very interested in some of the pieces I showed him photos of.. but I know some things are just difficult to see through photos. I've actually been looking into renting a metal detector.. I haven't continued digging to find things, it's just stuff I'm finding as I'm installing fencing, removing weeds and trying to redirect flooding...most of the stuff surfaced after I had dug up the weeds and then our yard flooded.. i actually stopped on gardening because I've been too overwhelmed, but now I have to get back to it because we are having guests come in three weeks. A lot of the stuff i brought in and washed has now been mixed up because my house was overtaken by rocks and fossils.. the other difficulty I have is determining which ones to even photograph because I really don't know what to look for. It's just odd when you stumble across a big pile of arrow shaped rocks all in one spot! 

Joenlle,

I got your PM, but was unable to reply because I'm on a very slow link and I can barely get any of the new features of the site to function through this link. If the photos are too big to post, I sure will have trouble with seeing them through email. I'm way out in the woods and am using one of those old phone connections.

If you pull your photos into a utility like "Paint", and then reduce the size of the photo and save it back with a different name, then you can post them. I think the new size limit is 4 megabytes. Even with that limit, my link is often too slow to read half the posts here.

Definitely a rib. With the saw marks it's most likely some domestic animal that was butchered.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yeah I'd be interested in seeing some additional things when you get the chance. I work in Sarasota and most all of the stuff you've shown us I find too at our work location--I dont want to diminish your enthusiam but its common with lots of other sites I've been too in the area and they are a mix of other stuff also. All kinds of junk and infill and fossil debris, plant debris etc.  Its pretty cool to look at the variety Ill definitely agree!! 

Regards, Chris 

@Plantguy Where in Sarasota do you work near? You can come LOOK at the stuff I'm seriously needing someone to help me either shut it down or confirm. 

I can't dedicate anymore time to posting online it seriously has gotten me nowhere and I am so behind on my actual work. I'll pay you in plant fossils. (If you find them) haha

I work in the Fruitville area for a Plant care company and drive all over different parts of the county taking care of tropical plants at businesses/homes. PM me and we will figure something out. I think you have some collectible stuff one way or the other, its just a matter of preference and how much time you have and what you are going to do with it...as most of us fossil nuts on this forum will tell you it can be time consuming if you let it! LOL..

Regards, Chris 

@plantguy I need some plants now that I've dug up my yard :) and yes it's my fault for letting it take up my time, it's too addicting & fun! That's my timing thing is that I want to plant ground cover. A dirt yard isn't fun for my house with dogs and a kid :(