Croc tooth questions

Plantguy

So Gang I've been watching the discussion about that Calvert Cliffs curved distinctly single grooved claw/tooth unknown and I think I understand why Harry was thinking not croc right off the bat and was looking at some of what I thought were crocodile teeth I had and want confirmation on a couple of things ...

So I've got two specimens from awhile ago...Manatee County, surface finds so probably Peace River FM but I really cant confirm...Mio/Plio Pleistocene..a mix of marine/freshwater and terrestrial stuff...

The first tooth has that noticeably multi small grooved striated look to it and seems essentially hollow which I thought was typical croc from other specimens I've seen. The other darker tooth has less distinct striations and seems to have a slight edge front and back to it and seems thicker and more solid...maybe its just nearer the end of the tooth and would be hollow otherwise? but that part of the upper part of the tooth is gone???

Am I dealing simply with two levels of preservation of croc teeth and the first is simply much more worn and a smaller, thinner tooth or is the 2nd an alligator or possibly even something else? 

All help is appreciated...

Regards, Chris 

Possible croc from Manatee.jpg

Possible croc from Manatee2.jpg

Possible Croc tooth from Manatee.jpg

Possible Crocodile tootha.jpg

Possible Crocodile toothba.jpg

Possilble Crocodile tooth Manatee Cnty.jpg

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think you're correct, Chris . . . two levels of preservation.

Most excellent! Thanks Harry. 

Regards, Chris 

Cris, as far as I understand it, gator teeth have two noticeable striations ('seams')--one on either side of the tooth that make the tooth look like it came out of a 2-part mold. Croc teeth have numerous striations as shown in your specimens. In my limited experience (mostly gator teeth with a few croc) the gator teeth tend to be a bit more short and stout (not unlike a certain teapot of nursery rhyme lore) while the croc teeth tend to be a bit more narrow and elongate. This, I would assume, likely varies with tooth position and I'm sure it would be possible to find a pair of gator and croc teeth that are an exception to this general rule.

BTW: Nice specimens! Look like quarry finds to me.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds Chris :) find a lot more gator teeth than those guys

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

On 11/18/2016 at 8:55 AM, digit said:

Cris, as far as I understand it, gator teeth have two noticeable striations ('seams')--one on either side of the tooth that make the tooth look like it came out of a 2-part mold. Croc teeth have numerous striations as shown in your specimens. In my limited experience (mostly gator teeth with a few croc) the gator teeth tend to be a bit more short and stout (not unlike a certain teapot of nursery rhyme lore) while the croc teeth tend to be a bit more narrow and elongate. This, I would assume, likely varies with tooth position and I'm sure it would be possible to find a pair of gator and croc teeth that are an exception to this general rule.

BTW: Nice specimens! Look like quarry finds to me.

Cheers.

-Ken

13 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice finds Chris :) find a lot more gator teeth than those guys

Thanks guys. I'm a generalist as you all know...I sure do like plants but will stoop for dang near anything...I see it and I'll usually pick it up...I had the pleasure of going out the FLorida Paleontological society a couple weekends ago for shells and I actually tried to cut back and not bring so much crud home....I think I was shaking, a precursor to tremors and withdrawals but I'm getting better now....LOL

Regards, Chris