wetwilly

Hi,

Cleaned a few things up today and I came across what maybe some kind of cartilage.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Fossils 031.JPG

Fossils 030.JPG

Fossils 029.JPG

Bill

The pattern does look consistent with fossilized shark cartilage, however I am uncertain if it's from a shark or not. Cartilage in its pure form does not fossilize. As the animal ages, calcium salts are deposited increasing rigidity. These calcium salts are what allow the fossilization of cartilage. I hope this helps.

Here is an image of fossilized cartilage.

shark-prismatic-cartilage-e1413381799897.jpg

Best regards,

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Thanks for the help Paul, Fossiling and Al Dente.  I will look into your suggestions. FYI - It is pretty fragile, when I pulled it from the stream, I put pressure on it to see its strength, and a part of it did break off. 

Bill

56 minutes ago, wetwilly said:

Thanks for the help Paul, Fossiling and Al Dente.  I will look into your suggestions. FYI - It is pretty fragile, when I pulled it from the stream, I put pressure on it to see its strength, and a part of it did break off. 

From what I read, fossilized cartilage is brittle depending on the environment it's extracted from. While this isn't objective, it may help you in asserting if it is fossilized cartilage.

...I'm back.

According to your photos and the ones of @Raggedy Man, i vote for a cartilage.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg