We can't figger this one out. ( SOLVED : COUNTER SEPTARIAN STRUCTURES!)

PRK

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

This was one of the posts that helped convince me to stay on TFF. I was so impressed by the teamwork, general open mindedness to even consider it wasn’t man made and all the knowledge of geological forms shared to hypothesize, enlighten and educate. 

I could see the love of fossils, rocks and geology working together in a community of like minded individuals to solve a very intriguing and awesome mystery of the coolest geologic form I had ever seen. 

I was pretty much hooked after that. That, all the cool fossils and trip reports. 

You core members of TFF that are here on practically a daily basis are pretty awesome and cool.

Thank you for making TFF the great place it is. I’m glad I stayed and I’ve been enriched, enlightened and educated by practically every one of you at one time or another over the past 8 months or so.

Thanks

Kim

Thank you for your kindness Kim.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

3 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Thank you for your kindness Kim.

You’re welcome. I’m one of those expressive people. I just have to say what I’m feeling.

I truly appreciate all of you. I won’t name you all. I’ll probably forget someone and spoil the good mode for someone. But you’re on here on practically a daily basis if not everyday or what seems to be all day for some. Not sure how the all day thing works. :D

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2016 at 6:14 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like some sort of very water worn meso-american carving, to me.  :headscratch:

Very Aztec-ish looking designs. 

Definitely man-altered, if not man-made. 

Regards,

image.jpeg.55129fb33239a865c9a33e35721ba855.jpeg

We know better now (this place is amazing!), but if someone told me it was a Madagascaran chameleon effigy, I might have believed it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6 minutes ago, Auspex said:

We know better now (this place is amazing!), but if someone told me it was a Madagascaran chameleon effigy, I might have believed it.

6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I consider that might be a good opportunity to attach another recently discovered specimen of these rare kind of pseudofossils, and compare it side-by-side with the specimen of this thread.

5b114e48bbf85_corock3.jpg.88c476eeb023941353eb966c26892135.jpg.0d4643e553b7443857de6a0719dc569d.jpgimage.jpeg.037925af4f7bdb77b60f0d3d987cb592.jpeg.5fdc436d02bbc92d410f0a5118ae7a68.jpeg.ac05fd08dce75-759c1bf47e357b4a.jpg.adb67075f1dd782134baf54eb3f92277.thumb.jpg.b0324636753248acaa3f4a88979c80b3.jpg

comparative picture from

• I found this Informative 9

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 6/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, truceburner said:

At the risk of a slight tangent, here's a similar weathering pattern of note, however more chemical than geological. http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/06/unique-weathering-chain-link-fence/

I wonder how far could they be from beekite rings? :) link

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, truceburner said:

At the risk of a slight tangent, here's a similar weathering pattern of note, however more chemical than geological. http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/06/unique-weathering-chain-link-fence/

Am I wrong or the wires are actually covered by a plastic sheath? 
Also, the alteration seems to have a polarity, that is it occurs prevalently on the upper part 
of the surfaces (those exposed longer to solar radiation and warming?); 
so, could this amazing pattern be due to the dilation and shrinking cycles 
producing concentric and radial fractures?

ciao

• 2 months later...

I don’t know what this is, but I had to comment and say I’m amazed at it. I apologize if this has already been answered in the comments.. I looked through them and didn’t catch an update. Did you ever find out what it is? 

21 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

I don’t know what this is, but I had to comment and say I’m amazed at it. I apologize if this has already been answered in the comments.. I looked through them and didn’t catch an update. Did you ever find out what it is? 

Yes, an answer has been given. A very interesting one too. 

I suggest you read through the whole 8 pages (yes, it's a long read, but definitely worth it!) and read the development over this intriguing piece!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

22 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

It's in the title. ;) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

On 10/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Fossildude19 said:

It's in the title. ;) 

Yeah, I’m an idiot. I’d been up for about 3k hours with a sick kid, so I didn’t even recognize that. :DOH:

On 10/12/2018 at 7:01 PM, KimboSlice said:

Yeah, I’m an idiot. I’d been up for about 3k hours with a sick kid, so I didn’t even recognize that. :DOH:

No harm done. We've all done similar here. 

We are human, after all. ;) 

Besides, sick kids are tough,  - you get an immediate pass for that. :) 

On 10/12/2018 at 8:10 PM, Fossildude19 said:

No harm done. We've all done similar here. 

We are human, after all. ;) 

Besides, sick kids are tough,  - you get an immediate pass for that. :) 

Lol! Thanks for the pass! My kid, I swear, is about 137 kids in one on a good day. When sick, the whole world will know it. She’s a good kid, but dramatic. She must get that from her aunt and grandma on my side. :heartylaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

A wee bit of pure untestable speculation here - but based on other, parallel speculations.

Suppose you were a Homo whoosis, 40,000 years ago, walking down the stream bed, examining stones to find one to use as a grinder for seeds - and you ran into this object.

I think the idea that "natural geology" was responsible might never occur to them (it never would have to me!), it looks SO convincingly like an artifact.  "Who could have done this?"  No human anyone knows ever has made or even thought of such a thing..  so...  spirits? gods?

Simultaneously a stimulus to think up new explanations, new concepts; and a stimulus to try to copy this.  The birth of both religion and art, wrapped up in one.  :-)

Newgrange-entrance-stone.jpg

• 3 months later...

What an awesome thread. This is why I have been hanging around this forum. As KimTX stated, so many forums I belong to never show the openness to new ideas and or devolve into petty bickering.  Here the community bands together to solve the question.  It is populated with people both experts and novices that share a passion for the topic. Most importantly, these people want to share their knowledge and excitement about the field. And when a noob like me makes a silly or even an absurd statement, the "know it alls" don't come crashing down with derogatory remarks.  So Kudos to all of you.

One thing I didn't see mentioned, though I may have missed it, is the fact that nature has many examples of fractal geometry.  Though one person mentioned the mandelbrot sets on a related instance.  Nonetheless, this is very cool.  Now, I need to stop lurking and start showing some of the trips I have been taking.  New mexico never ceases to amaze me geologically and culturally.

• 1 month later...

I would have bet my life that this specimen was man-made, and I certainly didn't believe the consensus of this forum, so I did about an hour of research and I gotta say

"Holy Counter-Septarian Structures Batman!". I can't believe I never came across this before during my life. I've been doing geology/fossils for over 50 years and have never seen anything in nature that looks as much man-made as this. Learned something new today. Learning is why I'm here. Thank you!

• I found this Informative 5

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 4 months later...

I have read this whole interesting thread.. It brings three questions to my mind...1. why has no one insisted on seeing the back side..?   2.  why are the edges tapered .. ?  3.. why could  it not have been a creation of nature that was picked up and altered by man and lost ..to be found by the present owner? ... this thread leaves me with those questions and any pictures shown as proof are of somewhat less perfection or sophistication, if you will,  I am amazed at what you have found , but remain skeptical..just as nature is a master creator.. I believe there are cracks in your solution that leave questions.. maybe I missed the answers to these ..

38 minutes ago, Mr_ed said:

I have read this whole interesting thread.. It brings three questions to my mind...

I believe there are cracks in your solution that leave questions.. maybe I missed the answers to these ..

Contact the original poster via a PM to see if he can provide photos of the backside (and clearer photos of the front) of the rock. The 3 D nature of the design along with drawings by Seilacher convinced me that this design was not human and created by nature. 

This whole post and thread was was one of the best on TFF.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Contact the original poster via a PM to see if he can provide photos of the backside (and clearer photos of the front) of the rock. The 3 D nature of the design along with drawings by Seilacher convinced me that this design was not human and created by nature. 

This whole post and thread was was one of the best on TFF.

The OP is no longer a member.

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The OP is no longer a member.

Its all good.. well done.. but nothing can change the fact that it looks more like a complete sculpture than an incidental piece of a fossil.. all the drawings seem to be complete within the space provided and beveled all around the edge...  with the design running over the bevel...but in the absence of who or why or where else it was made if mother nature did not, we have to accept the best guess and go with it.. If the person who wanted to know what it was is happy it's a happy ending to a long interesting thread..

• Fossildude19 changed the title to We can't figger this one out. ( SOLVED : COUNTER SEPTARIAN STRUCTURES!)
  • 1 year later...
On 11/19/2016 at 3:02 PM, Fruitbat said:

Hmmmm...THAT'S interesting!  Let me take a wild stab and say that it's not a fossil! :ighappy:  I don't suppose there were any other bits and pieces of the same things in the vicinity, were there?  What is it made of?

-Joe

Possibly a concretion or "fairy stone". They are found in many locations in Canada. 

• 4 months later...

Mother Nature is definitely an artist. While not on quite as high a level, I encountered the same principle a year ago. In my case, I encountered a dead tree branch with an odd look to it where the bark had partially peeled off. I carefully peeled the rest off and this is what was revealed:

Screenshot_2021-10-30-00-31-22.png

• Enjoyed 3